AC to DC Conversion: Determining Expected Q Factor

• Thread starter whale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary, the conversation revolves around a lab experiment involving measuring DC voltage and ripple voltage using an oscilloscope. The Q factor is calculated using the formula (DC voltage - ripple voltage) / DC voltage, but there is uncertainty about the expected values for an ideal AC to DC conversion. The concept of ripple voltage is explained as the voltage from peak to peak of the ripple, and it is obtained when the oscilloscope "coupling" is set to AC. The ideal conversion would have no ripple voltage.
whale
First off, I am sorry this post doesn't match the template guideline. I didnt realize that it was mandatory until I went to post this. I tried resetting it to get the template back, but it just restores my post.

I am not understanding this topic whatsoever. We used an oscilloscope to measure the DC voltage and ripple voltage of a circuit (there was a diode, resistor, and capacitor on it).

With these values, I calculated the Q factor. The formula for this was:

Q = (DC voltage - ripple voltage) / DC voltage

I need to perform a consistency test on the experimental Q factor with the expected Q factor for an ideal AC to DC conversion.

...But I don't know what the DC voltage and ripple voltage would be for the ideal conversion.

Any help would be appreciated, whether its an explanation of the concepts or the values for the ideal conversion.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you expect ripples in an ideal conversion?

I am not sure what the ripple means. Our class discussion doesn't line up with the lab portion, so this stuff has not been covered. I have read over the manual several times but it isn't clear.

All I know is that the ripple voltage is the voltage from peak to peak of the ripple, and it is obtained when the oscilloscope "coupling" is set to AC

Can anyone please help me out?

When AC is rectified by a diode and capacitor and it feeds a load, the capacitor must supply the current to the load between the peaks of the AC waveform. As current is drawn from the capacitor it discharges according to the usual RC exponential curve. Thus the output voltage (across the load) "sags" between AC peaks. The voltage sags until the next positive going peak of the rectified AC "catches" it and restores the charge on the capacitor:

Fig1.gif

[EDIT: Oops. I accidentally posted an image for full-wave rectification rather than half-wave. But the principle stands.]

Last edited:
Thank you gneill.

So in an ideal conversion, there would be no ripple.

Also thank you mfb, since your hint would have also been useful if I understood this.

1. What is the purpose of AC to DC conversion?

The purpose of AC to DC conversion is to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). This is necessary in many electronic devices as most of them require DC to function properly.

2. How does AC to DC conversion work?

AC to DC conversion is typically achieved through the use of a rectifier, which converts the AC signal into a pulsating DC signal. This pulsating DC signal is then smoothed out using a capacitor and sometimes a voltage regulator to produce a more steady DC output.

3. What is a Q factor in AC to DC conversion?

The Q factor, also known as quality factor, is a measure of the efficiency of an AC to DC conversion process. It is calculated by dividing the energy stored in a circuit by the energy dissipated in the same circuit. A higher Q factor indicates a more efficient conversion process.

4. How do you determine the expected Q factor in AC to DC conversion?

The expected Q factor can be determined by analyzing the components used in the conversion process, such as the type of rectifier, capacitor, and voltage regulator. The Q factor can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the circuit parameters and component specifications.

5. What factors affect the Q factor in AC to DC conversion?

The Q factor can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the components used, the frequency of the AC input signal, and the design of the conversion circuit. Other external factors like temperature and noise can also influence the Q factor of an AC to DC conversion process.