Acid Base Titration: Calculating Absolute Error

In summary, the conversation is about a lab report and the calculation of absolute error in the acidic concentration. The speaker thanks another person for their help with fixing a problem and expresses concern about their grade decreasing for small differences in values. They also mention the importance of accuracy in titration and express a desire to learn from their mistakes.
queenstudy
i am doing my lab report and i just want to know how to calculate the absolute error of the acidic concentration and thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi queenstudy! :smile:

Can you give us a little more to work with...?
What did you measure?
Which formula(s) did you use to calculate the acidic concentration from your measurements?

thank you serena but fixed my problem , but i just want to know something , why if i have a value different from the professor for every 0.1 ml my report grade decreases more and more its really unfair

Umm... how is this unfair?

if makes a huge difference , like 1 to 2 ml okay but 0.5ml will make youfail in the report i don't know is it a bit harsh?

I'm sorry about your grade. :frown:

But I believe you can do a titration accurately to 1 drop, which is about 0.03 mL.
Shouldn't an accuracy of 0.1 mL be achievable if you work carefully?

i really don't know its okay i love to learn my mistakes but also be fair hehehe thank you very much serena

1. What is acid base titration and why is it important in chemistry?

Acid base titration is a technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown acid or base by reacting it with a known standard solution. It is important in chemistry because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of the concentration of a solution, which is crucial in many experiments and industrial processes.

2. How is absolute error calculated in acid base titration?

Absolute error is calculated by subtracting the experimental value from the accepted or theoretical value. In acid base titration, the experimental value is the volume of the standard solution used, while the accepted value is the calculated volume needed to reach the equivalence point. The difference between these two values is the absolute error.

3. What factors can contribute to the absolute error in acid base titration?

There are several factors that can contribute to the absolute error in acid base titration, including human error in reading the burette volume, imprecise measurements of the standard solution or unknown solution, and errors in the calibration of the equipment used.

4. How can the absolute error in acid base titration be reduced?

To reduce the absolute error in acid base titration, it is important to ensure accurate and precise measurements of the standard solution and unknown solution. This can be achieved by using calibrated equipment and carefully reading the volume on the burette. It is also helpful to repeat the titration multiple times and calculate an average value to reduce the effects of random errors.

5. How does the concentration of the standard solution affect the absolute error in acid base titration?

The concentration of the standard solution can greatly affect the absolute error in acid base titration. A more concentrated standard solution will require a smaller volume to reach the equivalence point, resulting in a smaller absolute error. On the other hand, a less concentrated standard solution will require a larger volume, leading to a larger absolute error.