ACS Organic Chemistry Exam: Unlock the Mystery!

In summary: CHEM&subject_code=Ochem has a list of colleges that offer ACS Ochem courses for high school credit. I think it would be a good idea for you to contact the admissions office at the schools you are interested in to ask about their policy on using ACS Ochem Scores for admission.
blaughli
Hi all,

I would like to take an official version of the ACS exam for Organic Chemistry, but I cannot find out how to do this. I took an old version as part of my 2nd Semester Community College OChem Final, but those scores don't count officially. I really want to take a current version soon so that I can have it on my records. Does anyone know how I can arrange to take the test and have my score officially recorded?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I wasn't aware that the ACS provided testing services like other organizations like the GRE subject tests. I always thought the ACS tests were a service provided to teachers so their students could be tested to a common level and the results compared on a nationwide basis.

I think the only place you can take an ACS Organic test will be with a teacher willing to give it and it's never "official". Try the ACS website for yourself and see if this makes sense to you.

Thanks Chemisttree,

That does make sense to me. The main reason that I was seeking an "official" version of the test was so I could list my placement on a resume or application. I scored in the 99th percentile, but we were given a test that was years old. Is my score still valid enough to list on a resume or college App?

It shouldn't hurt you but I've never heard of a college admissions office reviewing an ACS High School test result to determine a student's qualifications for admission. They usually ask for standardized tests like the SAT. If the college you are applying to is very restrictive, it might help... it sure wouldn't hurt your chances. If you have any question about it, I would contact a few admission offices at the schools you intend to apply to. An out of date test shouldn't matter at all.

I've never thought of using test results like this one for a resume. It might be fine if you have absolutely no experience and the job you are applying for is related in some way to chemistry.

Thanks again ChemisTree,

High School? Are there really high school students who have completed two semesters of organic chemistry? Amazing. I'm a transfer student, and I would be going into a university as a Junior. I may go straight to grad school, as I already have a BA (in music) and it seems to be nearly impossible to get a second BS in California. I figured an ACS Ochem score might help me get into a BioInformatics program, or some other Computer Science field that involves Bio or Chem.

Thanks for your time.

Yes, there are some High School Students that take college courses for High School credit. http://www.judsonisd.org/campuses/?campus_code=009

Related to ACS Organic Chemistry Exam: Unlock the Mystery!

What is the format of the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam?

The ACS Organic Chemistry Exam consists of 70 multiple choice questions and is typically taken in a timed, proctored setting.

How is the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam scored?

The exam is scored on a scale of 0-100, with a score of 50 considered passing. The score is based on the number of correct answers, with no penalty for incorrect answers.

What topics are covered on the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam?

The exam covers a wide range of topics including nomenclature, reaction mechanisms, stereochemistry, functional groups, and spectroscopy.

How can I prepare for the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam?

There are a variety of study resources available, including practice exams, review books, and online tutorials. It is also important to review class notes, textbooks, and any study materials provided by your instructor.

Why is the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam important?

The ACS Organic Chemistry Exam is often used as a standardized assessment tool for undergraduate organic chemistry courses. It can also be used as a study guide for the ACS Organic Chemistry final exam, which is a requirement for many graduate and professional programs in chemistry.