Adding waves of the same frequency but different phases

In summary, to add two waves with the same frequency but different phases, you can use the equation Er = E1 + E2, where E1 and E2 are the two waves. To adjust the phase, you can use the formula t + phi/omega, where t is the time variable and phi is the phase difference. Then, substitute the new variable back into the solution to get the desired result.
lcr2139

Homework Statement

how do you add two waves with the same frequency but different phases?
E1 = 7*sin(omega*t + 70degrees)
E2 = 13*sin*(omega*t + 65degrees)[/B]

Homework Equations

Er = E1 + E2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to add waves that only have one phase, i.e.
E1 = E01*sin(omega*t)
E2 = E02*sin(omega*t + phase difference)

Can I subtract 65-70 degrees to make it
E1= E01*sin(omega*t)
E2 = E02*sin(omega*t - 5degrees)
?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
lcr2139 said:

Homework Statement

how do you add two waves with the same frequency but different phases?
E1 = 7*sin(omega*t + 70degrees)
E2 = 13*sin*(omega*t + 65degrees)[/B]

Homework Equations

Er = E1 + E2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to add waves that only have one phase, i.e.
E1 = E01*sin(omega*t)
E2 = E02*sin(omega*t + phase difference)

E1= E01*sin(omega*t)
?[/B]
Kind of...it depends on what sort of result you are looking for.
Normally to adjust the phase, you would need a shift in t.
For example, ## \sin (\omega t + \phi) = \sin (\omega (t+\phi/\omega) )##
So, if you replace t with ##\tau##, and define ##\tau = t+ \phi / \omega ##, then you can have a similar set up to what you are used to dealing with and then substitute the definition for tau back into your solution to get what you are looking for.

lcr2139 said:
E1= E01*sin(omega*t)
?
Try it, then shift your answer back 70o, and check your answer.

How do you add waves "that only have one phase"?

What is the concept of adding waves of the same frequency but different phases?

The concept of adding waves of the same frequency but different phases is known as wave interference. This occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency meet and their amplitudes are added together. The resulting wave depends on the phases of the individual waves at the point of interference.

How do waves with the same frequency but different phases interfere with each other?

Waves with the same frequency but different phases interfere with each other by either adding constructively or destructively. Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase and their amplitudes are added together, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

What happens when waves with the same frequency and opposite phases interfere?

When waves with the same frequency and opposite phases interfere, they cancel each other out completely. This is known as complete destructive interference and results in a flat line, or no wave, at the point of interference.

Can waves with different phases and frequencies interfere with each other?

No, waves with different frequencies cannot interfere with each other. This is because their wavelengths and periods are different, and they do not meet at the same point in time. Only waves with the same frequency can interfere with each other.

What is the mathematical formula for adding waves of the same frequency but different phases?

The mathematical formula for adding waves of the same frequency but different phases is A = A1 + A2 cos(Δφ), where A is the resulting amplitude, A1 and A2 are the amplitudes of the individual waves, and Δφ is the phase difference between the waves. This formula takes into account both constructive and destructive interference.