Admittance Circuit Homework: Improve PF to Unity & Reduce Supply Curr.

• Engineering
  • Thread starter DT71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a factory's electrical load represented by three parallel admittances and the calculation of the current, power factor, and required capacitor to reduce the supply current by 20% and improve the power factor to unity. The frequency and voltage of the circuit are necessary to accurately calculate these values. Additionally, the discussion mentions the calculation of the resonant frequency of the circuit and the determination of the minimum value of supply current using the 'unity power factor' condition, which can be done graphically or by solving for the supply current at different power factors.
DT71

Homework Statement

A factory’s electrical load can be represented as three parallel
admittances, as shown in FIGURE 1. The values of the admittances are
given in the table in polar form.
(a) Determine
(i) the current taken from the supply
(ii) the overall power factor of the load
(iii) the value of the capacitor required in parallel to the load to
reduce the supply current by 20% and the new power factor
with the capacitor in circuit.
(b) The power factor for the factory load can be improved to unity by
using a sufficiently large parallel capacitor.
(i) Calculate the value of this capacitor.
(ii) Calculate the resonant frequency of the circuit when this
capacitor is in circuit. (Hint: using the condition that at
resonance BC = BL, like XC = XL in a series circuit, greatly
simplifies this calculation!) Comment on your answer.
(iii) State, with reasons, if the ‘unity power factor’ condition gives
the minimum value of supply current. (You could also
demonstrate this graphically using a spreadsheet.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the following answers so far,
a)i)I=95L-46.30 degrees A
a)ii)p.f.=0.72
a)iii)C=775uF
this is were I am stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I have carefully examined your problem and have some suggestions for you to consider.

Firstly, in order to solve for the value of the capacitor required to reduce the supply current by 20% and the new power factor, it would be helpful to have more information about the frequency of the circuit. This information is necessary to calculate the reactance of the capacitor and its effect on the overall power factor. Additionally, it would be helpful to know the voltage and current of the supply in order to accurately calculate the power factor.

Secondly, in order to calculate the value of the capacitor needed to achieve unity power factor, we need to know the current and voltage of the supply, as well as the frequency of the circuit. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the value of the capacitor.

Lastly, in order to determine if the unity power factor condition gives the minimum value of supply current, we would need to analyze the circuit at different power factors and compare the resulting supply currents. This can be done graphically using a spreadsheet, as you suggested, or by solving for the supply current at different power factors using the given admittances and the voltage and frequency of the circuit.

I hope these suggestions will help you in solving your problem. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. it is my job to help others understand and solve complex problems, and I am happy to assist you in any way I can.

1. How can I improve the power factor (PF) of my admittance circuit?

To improve the power factor of an admittance circuit, you can use power factor correction techniques such as adding capacitors or using active power factor correction circuits. These methods help to reduce the reactive power in the circuit and therefore improve the PF to unity.

2. Why is it important to have a high power factor in an admittance circuit?

A high power factor in an admittance circuit is important because it indicates efficient use of electrical power. A low power factor means that there is a high proportion of reactive power in the circuit, which can lead to wastage of energy and higher electricity bills.

3. How can I reduce the supply current in my admittance circuit?

To reduce the supply current in an admittance circuit, you can use techniques such as adding inductors or using active power factor correction circuits. These methods help to reduce the reactive power in the circuit, which in turn reduces the supply current.

4. What is the difference between power factor and power factor correction?

Power factor is a measure of how efficiently a circuit uses electrical power, while power factor correction refers to the techniques used to improve the power factor of a circuit. Essentially, power factor correction is the process of improving the power factor of a circuit.

5. Can I improve the power factor of an admittance circuit without adding any components?

Yes, you can improve the power factor of an admittance circuit without adding any components by using power factor correction methods such as adjusting the load or using advanced control techniques. However, adding components may be necessary for larger improvements in PF to unity and reducing supply current.