What Are Good Topics for a Non-Experimental Physics Research Project?

In summary, the speaker is looking for advice on a research task that is due in 6-8 weeks, which is a significant part of their high school exams. The task involves conducting a secondary-source research on topics related to physics, such as Special Relativity and motors, and should be at least 15 pages long. The speaker has already spent a couple of hours researching but has not been able to come up with a conclusion. They are open to suggestions and have asked for some ideas that they have considered and rejected so far.
aurevoir
Hello,

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked many a time, however I could not find anything satisfying my needs.

Basically, I need a research task soon, and I really don't know anywhere else to ask for advice. I have thought about this for a couple hours and researched however I could not really come to a conclusion. I am in my final year of high school and it's a pretty big part of my exams... It's due in about 6-8 weeks so I have plenty of time, however I need to think of an idea in a couple days...

So yeah, I am required to conduct a secondary-source research task (which should be 15+ pages including diagrams) on topics relating to Physics such as Special Relativity, motors and stuff.
It has to be a research QUESTION on anything and we have to conduct a research task (not experimental so it's pretty broad) and research articles books and stuff.

I really have no idea but thanks if there are any suggestions :) :) :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us about some ideas that you've considered so far, and rejected, and why? That might help people to lead you to something more suitable.

What is a good way to come up with a research question in physics?

One effective approach is to identify a problem or gap in current knowledge within your field of interest. This could involve reviewing recent literature, attending conferences, or discussing with colleagues and mentors.

How can I ensure that my research question is relevant and significant?

It is important to consider the potential impact and implications of your research question. Will it contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your field? Will it have practical applications? Consulting with experts and conducting a thorough literature review can help to ensure the relevance and significance of your question.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when formulating a research question?

Some common mistakes include asking a question that has already been answered or is too broad to be effectively addressed in a single study. It is also important to avoid biased or leading questions, as well as those that are not feasible given the available resources and time.

How can I make sure my research question is specific and focused?

One way to ensure specificity and focus is to include specific variables or parameters in your question. This will help to narrow down the scope of your study and make it easier to design appropriate methods and analyze results.

What should I do if I am struggling to come up with a research question?

If you are having difficulty formulating a research question, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or collaborate with other researchers. You could also consider exploring a different subfield within physics or finding inspiration from other disciplines.