Advice on Linear Algebra and Discrete Math.

In summary, the person is planning to take Linear Algebra and Discrete Math in the Fall. They are concerned about their ability to do well due to their lack of proficiency in proofs. They are also considering a Math major and are unsure about how to prepare for proof writing. Some people find Discrete Math easy, while others struggle with it. Linear Algebra can also be either easy or difficult depending on the professor, and it can be a fulfilling class to take.
Styrkur
Hello guys, I will be taking Linear Algebra (Intro.) and Discrete Math in the Fall. I heard that these two courses are different from the Calculus sequence. I am afraid since I am not good with proofs. Will I be able to do well as long as I put in the time? Can you guys give me an advice so I can do well?

Also, I am thinking of doing a Math major. I have not been exposed to proof writing. Is it really a different animal? How should I prepare? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people find Discrete easy. However, I had a terrible time in it, so it really depends on the person. I have observed anecdotally that some people have an affinity for discrete math, and others for continuous math like calculus and Differential equations. Usually not both.

Also, Linear Algebra can be really easy or really hard, depending on your prof. I didn't learn much in Linear 1, but still got an A. It wasn't until Linear 2 that I really began to understand and appreciate linear algebra. It was one of my most fulfilling classes in college.

Related to Advice on Linear Algebra and Discrete Math.

1. What is the difference between linear algebra and discrete math?

Linear algebra focuses on the study of vector spaces and linear transformations, while discrete math deals with discrete structures such as graphs, sets, and algorithms. Linear algebra is more concerned with continuous quantities, while discrete math deals with discrete or finite quantities.

2. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra and discrete math?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding these subjects. Make sure to work through plenty of problems and exercises, and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed. Additionally, reading textbooks and other resources can also help improve your understanding.

3. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra and discrete math?

Linear algebra has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. Discrete math is used in computer science, cryptography, and operations research. Both are also essential in areas such as data analysis and machine learning.

4. What are some important concepts to understand in linear algebra and discrete math?

In linear algebra, key concepts include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In discrete math, important concepts include graphs, sets, permutations, and algorithms.

5. How can I prepare for a course in linear algebra and discrete math?

To prepare for a course in these subjects, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra and basic mathematical concepts. It is also recommended to review any pre-requisite material, such as calculus, before starting the course. Familiarizing yourself with key concepts and terminology beforehand can also be beneficial.