Advice please, I don't know what Master's degree my BSc qualifies me for

In summary, the individual has been lurking on forums for advice and has recently registered for specific advice. They are a first year student at the Faculty of Engineering in Egypt, and are considering pursuing a Master's degree at a reputable university, potentially including MIT. They are concerned about their qualifications and have listed their courses for potential feedback. It is common for students to take undergraduate courses at MIT to prepare for graduate studies, and their GPA of 3.9 is a positive factor. However, their current program may be lacking in some areas and they may need to supplement their education with independent study or additional courses. Researching and reaching out to other universities with strong programs and considering scholarship opportunities may also be beneficial. Overall, determination and a strong academic
Wattever
Hi, I've been lurking around the forums unregistered for a while now and it's been very helpful, I just recently registered for specific advice.

I'm a first year student at the Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University, Egypt. I'm taking a computer and communication engineering BSc, and due to some recent revelations I decided I don't want to go on living in Egypt anymore and would like to do a Master's degree somewhere else at a good university, even hoping for MIT (I would settle for any respected university, but there aren't many that offer need-blind financial aid, without which it would be almost impossible for me to get any degrees at all). I checked out the http://www.eecs.mit.edu/grad/areas.html" at MIT and I was very disappointed to find that according to any "undergraduate preparations" on the site, I'm not prepared at all. They did mention however, in area I, that "There is absolutely no dishonor in taking MIT undergraduate courses to bolster your undergraduate background. This is very common in the Area". But this doesn't make any sense to me, because why would MIT admit someone who's under-qualified from the first place?!

I'm going to list the courses in my programme in the hope that someone would tell me about somewhere good at which I would qualify for graduate studies. And also if I have any change at getting accepted at MIT or one of the top universities if I maintain a GPA of around 3.9... I'm particularly concerned because they just started this program this year, so there aren't any graduates I could ask or anything.

First year:
Math I (differential calculus)
Mechanics I (statics)
Engineering Graphics
General Chemistry
Physics I
English
Math II (integral calculus)
Mechanics II (dynamics)
Production Engineering
Physics II (E&M)
Human Rights

Second Year:
Math III (more calculus)
Programming I
Modern Physics
Electrical Circuits
Probability and Statistics
Discrete Structures for Computing
Technical Writing
Math IV (more calculus)
Programming II
Electrical Circuits II
Digital Logic Circuits I
Data Structures
Engineering Economics

Third Year:
Analysis and Design of Algorithms
Signals and Systems
Electronic Circuit Analysis
Digital Logic Circuits II
Computer Organization
Project Management
Control Systems
Digital Signal Processing
Systems Programming
Operating Systems
Computer Architecture
Humanities

Forth Year:
Analog Communication Theory
Microprocessors Systems
Database Systems
Computer Networks
Law and Engineering Ethics
Multimedia Systems
Embedded Systems
Digital Communications
Humanities
3 electives

Fifth Year:
Communication Systems
Net-Centric Computing
Computer and Network Security
Performance Evaluation
2 Humanities
4 electives
Senior Project

As you can see it's lacking any Linear Algebra courses and lacking in Mathematics/Physics in general. I have no idea which courses are offered for the electives. I'm sorry this was too long, but I really need to know if this is a good degree or not so that I could transfer elsewhere before it's too late. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello and welcome to the forum! I understand your concerns about your current program and your desire to pursue a Master's degree at a reputable university. First of all, I want to assure you that it is not uncommon for students to take undergraduate courses at MIT to prepare for graduate studies. Many students from all over the world do this, and it is a perfectly valid option for you as well. In fact, it shows your determination and commitment to your education.

Regarding your chances of being accepted into MIT or other top universities, it is difficult to say without knowing more about your academic performance and extracurricular activities. However, maintaining a high GPA of 3.9 is definitely a positive factor. Additionally, your involvement in research, internships, and other relevant experiences will also play a significant role in your application.

As for your current program, it seems to cover a good range of courses in engineering, math, and computer science. However, I do agree that it may be lacking in some areas such as linear algebra. My suggestion would be to take advantage of any opportunities for independent study or research projects in these areas, and also consider taking additional courses outside of your program if possible. This will help strengthen your application and also prepare you for graduate studies.

In terms of finding other reputable universities, I recommend researching and reaching out to universities that have strong programs in your field of interest. You can also look into scholarship opportunities to help with the financial aspect of studying abroad. Additionally, it may be helpful to speak with professors or advisors in your current program for their insights and recommendations on potential universities.

Overall, I encourage you to continue working hard and pursuing your goals. With determination and a strong academic background, you have a good chance of being accepted into a reputable university for your Master's degree. Best of luck to you!

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for advice regarding your Bachelor's degree and potential Master's degree options. I understand your concerns and would like to offer some guidance.

First of all, I want to assure you that your BSc in computer and communication engineering is a valuable degree and can open up many opportunities for you, both in Egypt and abroad. Your coursework in mathematics, physics, and engineering will provide you with a solid foundation for pursuing a Master's degree in a related field.

In terms of specific Master's degree options, it is important to research and consider universities that align with your academic interests and career goals. While MIT may be a prestigious and well-respected institution, it is not the only option for pursuing a Master's degree in your field. There are many other universities around the world that offer excellent programs and opportunities for students in computer and communication engineering.

Additionally, I want to emphasize that your GPA is not the only factor that universities consider when reviewing applications for graduate programs. They also take into account your research experience, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and other factors. Therefore, it is important to focus on developing a well-rounded application and highlighting your strengths and achievements.

Regarding your concerns about your coursework and the lack of linear algebra and other courses, it is not uncommon for students to take additional courses or complete prerequisites before starting a Master's program. This is especially true for international students who may have different educational backgrounds. As the MIT website mentioned, taking additional courses to strengthen your background is not uncommon and can actually be beneficial for your academic and professional development.

In summary, I encourage you to continue your research and explore different Master's degree options that align with your interests and goals. Do not limit yourself to one university or one country, as there are many opportunities available. I also recommend reaching out to faculty members or advisors in your current program for guidance and advice on potential Master's programs that may be a good fit for you.

Best of luck in your academic journey.

1. What is the difference between a Master's and a Bachelor's degree?

A Master's degree is a higher level of education that typically requires a Bachelor's degree as a prerequisite. It is more specialized and in-depth, and often includes a research component. A Bachelor's degree, on the other hand, is a general undergraduate degree that provides a broad foundation in a specific field of study.

2. How do I determine which Master's degree my BSc qualifies me for?

The best way to determine which Master's degree your Bachelor's of Science (BSc) qualifies you for is to research the specific requirements and curriculum of different Master's programs. You can also consult with your academic advisor or the admissions office of the graduate school you are interested in attending.

3. Can I pursue a Master's degree in a different field than my Bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's degree in a different field than your Bachelor's degree. However, you may need to take additional prerequisite courses or demonstrate knowledge and skills in the desired field in order to be accepted into the program.

4. Will having a Master's degree increase my job opportunities and salary?

Having a Master's degree can increase your job opportunities and may lead to a higher salary, depending on the field and industry. It also demonstrates a higher level of knowledge and expertise in a specific area, which can be attractive to employers.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a Master's degree?

The length of time it takes to complete a Master's degree varies depending on the program and whether you are attending full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a Master's degree, but some programs can take up to 3 years.