Static Stability of Aircraft designed in X Plane

In summary: For dynamic stability you'll also want to show that the sum of all moments around the center of gravity (COG) is zero. See the Stability and Control Data Compendium (DATACOM) for more information.
Sicknote
HI Everyone.

First of all, I'm not an aeronautical or mechanical engineer. I'm an electronics engineer but I'm currently doing a group project where I'm required to carry out a stability analysis on an aircraft that we've designed using the simulator software, X Plane.

I apologise in advance if any of these questions are stupid...

I know where the aircraft centre of gravity is but
How do I determine the Aerodynamic Centre of my aircraft?

I know that during steady flight, I must prove that all resultant moments acting around the centre of gravity should = 0, and
I've got Cm vs Alpha graphs for the tail airfoil (NACA 0009) and I'm in the process of trying to get the same graphs off X plane for the wing airfoils (Boeing Subsonic) but these will give me 2 completely separate moment coefficients for 2 different airfoils.

How do I get the Moment Coefficient about the Centre of Gravity from these?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might look at the USAF Stability and Control Data Compendium (DATACOM) which lists methods for determining S&C characteristics. http://www.pdas.com/datcomrefs.html has a PDF copy of the report, and also FORTRAN source code for Digital DATCOM.

Hans Multhopp created a method for determining the aerodynamic center. Roskam's Aircraft Design books discuss the method in Part 6, and there is a NACA technical report by Multhopp, but I don't remember the report number. Multhopp's method is accurate to about 10%. (It also is extremely tedious and a pain to do.)

For static stability you'll want to show that [itex]C_{D_u}> 0[/itex], [itex]C_{y_\beta} < 0[/itex], [itex]C_{L_\alpha} > 0[/itex], [itex]C_{l_\beta} < 0[/itex], [itex]C_{l_p} < 0[/itex], [itex]C_{m_\alpha} < 0[/itex], [itex]C_{m_q} < 0[/itex], [itex]C_{n_\beta} > 0[/itex], and [itex]C_{n_r} < 0[/itex]. (These are at steady state, with body-axis velocities [itex]U_1,V_1,W_1[/itex] and angular rates [itex]P_1,Q_1,R_1[/itex].)

1. What is the definition of static stability in aircraft design?

Static stability is the tendency of an aircraft to return to its original position after being disturbed from its flight path. It is an important characteristic that ensures the safety and controllability of an aircraft.

2. How is static stability evaluated in X Plane?

In X Plane, static stability is evaluated by measuring the aircraft's longitudinal stability, which is the stability around its lateral axis. This is done by analyzing the aircraft's center of gravity, wing and tail design, and other factors that affect its ability to maintain a stable flight path.

3. What are the different types of static stability in aircraft design?

The three types of static stability in aircraft design are positive, neutral, and negative stability. Positive stability means the aircraft will naturally return to its original position after being disturbed. Neutral stability means the aircraft will maintain its new position after being disturbed. Negative stability means the aircraft will continue to move away from its original position after being disturbed.

4. How does static stability affect the handling of an aircraft in flight?

Static stability plays a crucial role in the handling of an aircraft. A highly stable aircraft may be easier to control, but may also be less responsive to control inputs. On the other hand, a less stable aircraft may be more maneuverable, but also more difficult to control. Therefore, it is important for aircraft designers to strike a balance between stability and maneuverability in their designs.

5. What are some methods used to improve the static stability of aircraft in X Plane?

There are several methods used to improve the static stability of aircraft in X Plane, including adjusting the position of the center of gravity, modifying wing and tail design, and incorporating fly-by-wire technology. These methods aim to increase the aircraft's positive stability and improve its overall handling and controllability.