Air Levitation Skis Research: Stability, Optimal Air Funneling

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of skis with air bearings or air skirts to create a hovercraft-like contraption for a smooth surface. The suggestion was made to research air puck designs and industrial versions of air pucks for data sheets. It was also mentioned that these designs may not be suitable for high speeds of 100-200mph and would need to comply with safety codes and be approved by a professional engineer. The idea of using ram air pressure to support the load was also brought up, along with the concept of "oil wedge" bearings.
ual8658
Are there any good research papers or established theories on using skis with either porous air bearings or an air skirt with holes to send pressurized air out? One of my concerns right now is the stability of a ski (ie any particular shape each ski/section should be and whether we should divide each ski up into sections) and most optimal way of funneling air out from a compressed source to the atmosphere. Essentially these skis will support a hovercraft-like contraption that is supposed to run over a fairly smooth surface.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like a variation on the air puck. Since air pucks are manufactured by several sources, a search for air puck design may help.

I think that there are industrial versions of the air puck used to assist moving heavy things. They should come with data sheets.

anorlunda said:
It sounds like a variation on the air puck. Since air pucks are manufactured by several sources, a search for air puck design may help.

I think that there are industrial versions of the air puck used to assist moving heavy things. They should come with data sheets.

Our design is supposed to support between 1/2 - 1 ton of weight moving at high speeds. Would an air puck design suffice for such parameters?

ual8658 said:
Our design is supposed to support between 1/2 - 1 ton of weight moving at high speeds. Would an air puck design suffice for such parameters?

Yes, if the surfaces are sufficiently flat, hard and smooth. Snow would be a poor surfaces.

anorlunda said:
Yes, if the surfaces are sufficiently flat, hard and smooth. Snow would be a poor surfaces.
When I said high speeds, I was talking about speeds between 100-200mph. Right now we're working with a smooth, metal track surface that has plus or minus 1 mm height differences at the gaps. Would these air bearings survive impacts at those speeds with such height variations?

ual8658 said:
When I said high speeds, I was talking about speeds between 100-200mph. Right now we're working with a smooth, metal track surface that has plus or minus 1 mm height differences at the gaps. Would these air bearings survive impacts at those speeds with such height variations?

WOW that's really fast.

I'm not really an expert on those things. But as a general guess, I would think no, they would scrape. The high speed also raises questions of dynamic loading changes, and the air cushion being stripped away by friction.

The industrial things I mentioned, would have little in common with 100-200 mph applications.

If you are making something that impacts human safety, I'm very sure that you'll need to comply with applicable codes and need a sign-off from a registered professional engineer, instead of asking for advice from strangers on the Internet.

anorlunda said:
WOW that's really fast.

I'm not really an expert on those things. But as a general guess, I would think no, they would scrape. The high speed also raises questions of dynamic loading changes, and the air cushion being stripped away by friction.

The industrial things I mentioned, would have little in common with 100-200 mph applications.

If you are making something that impacts human safety, I'm very sure that you'll need to comply with applicable codes and need a sign-off from a registered professional engineer, instead of asking for advice from strangers on the Internet.
This is for a design class, not practice but it still has to be realistic. You're saying that at high speeds, the air cushion of a traditional air bearing will almost disappear because of friction?

ual8658 said:
This is for a design class, not practice but it still has to be realistic. You're saying that at high speeds, the air cushion of a traditional air bearing will almost disappear because of friction?

I said that I'm no expert.

But I do know that at low speeds, the air flows out in all directions including the direction if motion. Friction at high speed must diminish the forward air flow. Quantitatively, I can't say.

See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_bearing

As the ski moves forward, half the supporting air will be left behind.

At high speeds it would be possible to use ram air pressure ; to support a load of ;
100 mph -- 0.178 psi -- 25.56 lbs/sqft
150 mph -- 0.399 psi -- 57.52 lbs/sqft
200 mph -- 0.710 psi -- 102.26 lbs/sqft
250 mph -- 1.110 psi -- 159.78 lbs/sqft
300 mph -- 1.598 psi -- 230.08 lbs/sqft

To understand the support process you should study the concept of “oil wedge” bearings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_bearing#Michell.2FKingsbury_tilting-pad_fluid_bearings

Baluncore said:
See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_bearing

As the ski moves forward, half the supporting air will be left behind.

At high speeds it would be possible to use ram air pressure ; to support a load of ;
100 mph -- 0.178 psi -- 25.56 lbs/sqft
150 mph -- 0.399 psi -- 57.52 lbs/sqft
200 mph -- 0.710 psi -- 102.26 lbs/sqft
250 mph -- 1.110 psi -- 159.78 lbs/sqft
300 mph -- 1.598 psi -- 230.08 lbs/sqft

To understand the support process you should study the concept of “oil wedge” bearings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_bearing#Michell.2FKingsbury_tilting-pad_fluid_bearings
Thank you. This makes sense.

1. What is air levitation skiing?

Air levitation skiing is a type of skiing that utilizes air pressure to create a cushion of air between the skis and the ground. This allows for a smoother and faster ride, similar to the experience of skiing on fresh powder.

2. How does air levitation skiing work?

Air levitation skiing works by using specially designed skis with air channels or funnels. These funnels direct air from the front of the ski to the back, creating a cushion of air that lifts the ski off the ground. The air pressure also helps to stabilize the ski and provide a smoother ride.

3. What are the benefits of air levitation skiing?

The main benefit of air levitation skiing is the increased speed and smoother ride it provides. This can be especially useful for skiing on rough or uneven terrain, as well as for off-piste skiing. Additionally, air levitation skis are typically lighter and easier to maneuver, making them a popular choice among advanced skiers.

4. Is air levitation skiing safe?

Like any sport, air levitation skiing carries some risk. However, when done properly with the right equipment, it can be a safe and thrilling experience. It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear proper protective gear while air levitation skiing.

5. How can air levitation skiing research improve stability and optimal air funneling?

Air levitation skiing research can improve stability and optimal air funneling by studying the design and materials of the skis and air funnels. This can lead to the development of more efficient and effective designs, resulting in a smoother and more stable ride for skiers. Additionally, research can also help identify potential safety concerns and ways to mitigate them.