Algebra in potential barrier problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the transmission probability for a potential barrier with energy of the incoming matter wave greater than the height of the barrier. The algebraic work has led to the expression ## T=\frac{4k^{2}k'^{2}}{4k^{2}k'^{2}cos^{2}k'L+(k^{2}+k'^{2})^{2}sin^{2}k'L}## and the goal is to simplify it to the form ##T=\frac{4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}{sin^{2}k'L+4\frac{k'^{
Summer95

Homework Statement

It is a potential barrier with E of the incoming matter wave E>U (greater than the height of the barrier). I have already done a LOT of algebra to get to the point where

##\frac{F}{A}=\frac{2kk'e^{-ikL}}{2kk'cos(k'L)-i(k'^{2}+k^{2})sin(k'L)}##

which I won't bother writing out because its done and I can check that this is the correct expression.

k and k' are clearly the usually values corresponding to the time independent Schrodinger equation outside and inside of the barrier, respectively. F is the amplitude of the transmitted wave and A is the amplitude of the incident wave. L is the width of the barrier.

Homework Equations

The transmission probability *should* simplify to:

##T=\frac{4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}{sin^{2}k'L+4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So the transmission probability

##T=\left | \frac{F}{A} \right |^{2}=\frac{4k^{2}k'^{2}(coskL-isinkL)^{2}}{4k^{2}k'^{2}cos^{2}k'L+(k^{2}+k'^{2})^{2}sin^{2}k'L-2ikk'cosk'Lsink'L(k^{2}+k'^{2})}##

I have tried to simplify this twice - the second time I started by just multiplying the whole bottom out. I won't write out all of my work because nothing after this point lead to anything useful but if I do get somewhere I will add it. Mostly I don't understand how to get rid of the exponential in the numerator (or the trigs associated with it) and all of the i's.

Physics news on Phys.org
The complex exponential in the numerator of the first expression disappears when you take the modulus in the second, because ##\forall x\in\mathbb{R}:\ |e^{ix}|=1##.
In the denominator of the second expression, square and add the imaginary and real parts to get the modulus.

Likes Summer95
andrewkirk said:
The complex exponential in the numerator of the first expression disappears when you take the modulus in the second, because ##\forall x\in\mathbb{R}:\ |e^{ix}|=1##.
In the denominator of the second expression, square and add the imaginary and real parts to get the modulus.
Thank you! I also just realized I need to re-square F/A because I did not take the complex conjugate.

Summer95 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So the transmission probability

##T=\left | \frac{F}{A} \right |^{2}=\frac{4k^{2}k'^{2}(coskL-isinkL)^{2}}{4k^{2}k'^{2}cos^{2}k'L+(k^{2}+k'^{2})^{2}sin^{2}k'L-2ikk'cosk'Lsink'L(k^{2}+k'^{2})}##

I have tried to simplify this twice - the second time I started by just multiplying the whole bottom out. I won't write out all of my work because nothing after this point lead to anything useful but if I do get somewhere I will add it. Mostly I don't understand how to get rid of the exponential in the numerator (or the trigs associated with it) and all of the i's.
So the transmission probability is actually:
## T=\left | \frac{F}{A} \right |^{2}=\frac{F*F}{A*A}## (where F* means the complex conjugate of F)
so doing that I get:

##\frac{4k^{2}k'^{2}}{4k^{2}k'^{2}cos^{2}k'L+(k^{2}+k'^{2})^{2}sin^{2}k'L}##

I guess I am still struggling with the algebra here. This should look like:
##T=\frac{4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}{sin^{2}k'L+4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}##

What am I missing?

1. What is a potential barrier in algebra?

A potential barrier in algebra refers to a barrier or obstacle in a system that affects the flow of a quantity, such as energy or electric charge. It is typically represented by a potential energy function, which shows the energy changes that occur as the quantity moves through the system.

2. How is algebra used in potential barrier problems?

In potential barrier problems, algebra is used to analyze the behavior of a quantity as it moves through the system. It is used to set up and solve equations that describe the potential energy of the system and the motion of the quantity within it.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to potential barrier problems?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles in a potential energy field. It is used to solve for the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a given location. In potential barrier problems, the Schrödinger equation is used to analyze the behavior of particles as they move through the potential barrier.

4. What are the conditions for a particle to pass through a potential barrier?

In order for a particle to pass through a potential barrier, its energy must be greater than the potential energy of the barrier. Additionally, the particle must have a high enough momentum to overcome the barrier. This can be determined using the Schrödinger equation and the properties of the potential barrier.

5. How does the width and height of a potential barrier affect the behavior of particles?

The width and height of a potential barrier affect the behavior of particles in different ways. A wider barrier will result in a lower probability of the particle passing through, while a higher barrier will result in a lower probability of reflection. Additionally, a higher barrier will require the particle to have a higher energy and momentum to pass through. These relationships can be described using the Schrödinger equation and the principles of quantum mechanics.