Alternating Series involving factorials

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the convergence or divergence of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{n^n}{n!}, and the question of how to deal with factorials. The participants discuss using the ratio test and the alternating series test to find the answer, as well as ways to prove that the sequence is increasing without using derivatives.
mateomy
I have a specific problem but more than figuring out the answer I just want to figure out how to deal with factorials. My book is less than helpful on it...

The problem is...

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{n^n}{n!}
[/tex]

I understand that I have to take the limit of the sequence (aside from determining an overall decreasing function), I just don't know what to do with the factorial. I am pretty sure I can't take a limit of a factorial. Can someone give me an example (using another problem if necessary) of what I should do with them.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to find out if the sum converges, or find the sum (assuming it converges)?

I need to find convergence or divergence. Can I just pull out a factor of (1+n)! ? I saw an example like that in another text but the wording was slim to nil, it didn't really explain the circumstances when that could be done.

mateomy said:
I need to find convergence or divergence. Can I just pull out a factor of (1+n)! ? I saw an example like that in another text but the wording was slim to nil, it didn't really explain the circumstances when that could be done.

When n=2, n^n/n! is 2*2/(1*2). When n=3, it's 3*3*3/(1*2*3). So the n=3 term is larger than the n=2 term. Looks to me like the sequence is INCREASING. Can you make an argument that it's increasing for all n? What would that say about convergence of the series? To get more practice with factorials, you could also try and apply a ratio test. What do you get for a_n+1/a_n? Can you say anything about it's limit?

I know if you plug in the numbers straight out, like you have done it looks increasing. The thing is, I want to take the derivative and actually prove it. Which brings me back to my original problem: How to deal with the Factorial. As far as the Ratio test is concerned, the section we're covering is strictly Alternating series test, so we have to show it using that specific test. The ratio test is the next section we're covering so I don't think I can use it, though, I have an okay understanding of how to apply that one.

mateomy said:
I know if you plug in the numbers straight out, like you have done it looks increasing. The thing is, I want to take the derivative and actually prove it. Which brings me back to my original problem: How to deal with the Factorial. As far as the Ratio test is concerned, the section we're covering is strictly Alternating series test, so we have to show it using that specific test. The ratio test is the next section we're covering so I don't think I can use it, though, I have an okay understanding of how to apply that one.

You can't really take the derivative of n!. Well, you can if you replace n! with a continuous gamma function, but I'm sure you haven't covered that. If the ratio test is in the next section then your only choice is to find an argument that n^n/n! is a increasing function of n without using derivatives. Start with writing it as the product (n/1)*(n/2)*(n/3)*...*(n/(n-1))*(n/n). When you go to the next term in the series you add 1 to the numerator of all of those factors and add an extra factor of (n+1)/(n+1). Can you argue that that will cause the product to increase?

1. What is an alternating series involving factorials?

An alternating series involving factorials is a mathematical series that involves factorial terms (n!) and alternates between positive and negative signs. It can be written in the form of ∑((-1)^n * a_n) where n is the index and a_n is the nth term of the series.

2. How do you determine the convergence of an alternating series involving factorials?

The convergence of an alternating series involving factorials can be determined by using the Alternating Series Test. This test states that if the series alternates between positive and negative terms, and the absolute value of the terms decreases as n increases, then the series will converge. Additionally, if the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity is equal to 0, then the series will also converge.

3. How can you find the sum of an alternating series involving factorials?

To find the sum of an alternating series involving factorials, you can use the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series. This formula is S = a / (1-r), where a is the first term and r is the ratio between consecutive terms. To find these values, you can manipulate the series to make it look like a geometric series, and then plug in the values into the formula.

4. Are there any real-world applications of alternating series involving factorials?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of alternating series involving factorials. One example is in the field of physics, specifically in quantum mechanics. The Schrödinger equation, which is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems, involves an infinite series that can be represented as an alternating series involving factorials.

5. Can alternating series involving factorials be used to approximate values?

Yes, alternating series involving factorials can be used to approximate values. This is because they are often used in conjunction with Taylor series, which are mathematical representations of functions that can be used to approximate values. By using Taylor series with alternating series involving factorials, we can often get more accurate approximations of values than we would with just the Taylor series alone.