Amplifying Current in Monostable Circuit for Brighter LED Strip: A Solution

• Thread starter wavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, when you push the switch, the LED strip lights up for 10 seconds and then goes off by itself. You have connected the LED strip to the circuit using a resistor and a transistor, but the LED strip doesn't light up. You have also attached a circuit diagram to your reply.
wavy
Hi,

I am trying to make a Monostable circuit with my 12V LED strip. When I push the switch once, the LED strip will light up for 10 seconds and go off by itself. I have built the circuit using this schematic, the only difference is I am using a 1000uf capacitor.

309pzl2.jpg

Everything works, but the only problem I have is the 555 timer can only output 200mA, so the LED strip is very dim. I understand that I could use a TIP31C NPN transitor to amplify the current? What I did was wire the base to pin 3, the collector to the negative pin of my LED strip and the emitter to pin 1(ground). THe LED doesn't light up at all.

I am not really an expert in electronics, I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have the LED anode connected to the battery positive?

Also, you should place a resistor in series with the base to limit the current. The transistor BE junction is approximately a short circuit on the 555 timer output.

Hi uart,

Thanks for your reply. The positive is connected to the 220 resistor and to pin3. I have attached a 3D view of the circuit. The LED strips appears to have resistors on them.I'm currently blurred trying to get this to work, I will have to look at the resistor part when I solve this. Been looking for a solution for days..

Last edited:
wavy said:
Hi uart,

Thanks for your reply. The positive is connected to the 220 resistor and to pin3. I have attached a 3D view of the circuit. The LED strips appears to have resistors on them.

I'm currently blurred trying to get this to work, I will have to look at the resistor part when I solve this. Been looking for a solution for days..

You need to post a circuit diagram of how you actually have it connected. Otherwise this is futile.

Issue solved.

Last edited:

1. What is a monostable circuit?

A monostable circuit, also known as a one-shot circuit, is an electronic circuit that generates a single output pulse when triggered by an input signal. It has two stable states: a resting state and a triggered state.

2. How does a monostable circuit work?

A monostable circuit typically consists of a timing element, such as a capacitor or resistor, and a trigger input. When the trigger input is activated, it causes the timing element to change state, which in turn generates a pulse output. The circuit then returns to its resting state until the trigger input is activated again.

3. What are the applications of a monostable circuit?

Monostable circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to generate precise timing pulses, such as in timing circuits, pulse generators, and debouncing circuits. They are also used in combination with other components to create more complex circuits, such as in flip-flops and multivibrators.

4. How do I design a monostable circuit?

The design of a monostable circuit depends on the specific components and purpose of the circuit. Generally, it involves selecting appropriate values for the timing element and trigger input, and ensuring proper connections and power supply. It is recommended to consult a circuit design guide or seek the help of an experienced engineer for more complex designs.

5. What are some common issues with monostable circuits?

One common issue with monostable circuits is false triggering, where the circuit is triggered unintentionally due to noise or interference. This can be addressed by using a Schmitt trigger or adding a filter to the input signal. Other issues may include incorrect timing due to component tolerances and instability caused by temperature changes or power supply fluctuations.