What is the correct way to wire a piezoelectric circuit on a breadboard?

In summary, the conversation was about trouble implementing a circuit diagram with a piezoelectric ceramic onto a breadboard. The LED was already lit and nothing happened when pressure was applied to the piezo. The solution suggested using a 1MΩ resistor and connecting the output pin of the LM108 to drive a power MOSFET or similar component. The suggested circuit diagram was also provided, along with a link to a datasheet for further reference.
A31415
Hi, I am having trouble implementing a circuit diagram onto a breadboard. The circuit involves a piezoelectric ceramic, which when pressure is applied, it should create enough power to activate 9V and light up an Led for a second. When I put the circuit together on the breadboard, to the best of my ability, the LED was already lit by the battery and nothing happened when pressure was applied to the piezo. Here is the link for the circuit diagram: http://circuitswiring.com/trigger-555-monostable-circuit-using-the-piezo-transducers/

I have attached the photos of the circuit below. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 388
Engineering news on Phys.org
I cannot see the resistor from the piezoelectric ceramic to V+, but it has to be very large (at least 1MΩ). Here is a circuit diagram I found:
upload_2016-3-15_7-24-44.jpeg

I tried the 1M Ohm resister and the same issue occurred.

For the circuit you suggested. Where would the power, that I am using the piezoelectric to activate, connect?

Thanks!

A31415 said:
For the circuit you suggested. Where would the power, that I am using the piezoelectric to activate, connect?
The output pin (pin 6) of the LM108 has an amplified version of the signal from the transducer. Measure it and if it is large enough, use it to drive a power MOSFET or something.

A31415 said:
I tried the 1M Ohm resister and the same issue occurred.
Did you put it here ?

555piezo.jpg

1. What is a piezoelectric circuit?

A piezoelectric circuit is a type of electrical circuit that utilizes the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when mechanical stress is applied to them. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as sensors, actuators, and transducers.

2. How does a piezoelectric circuit work?

A piezoelectric circuit works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. When mechanical stress is applied to a piezoelectric material, it causes the material to deform and generate an electric charge. This charge is then amplified and used to power electronic devices.

3. What are some applications of piezoelectric circuits?

Piezoelectric circuits have a wide range of applications, including in medical devices, automotive sensors, industrial machinery, and consumer electronics. They are also commonly used in research and scientific experiments.

4. How do I design a piezoelectric circuit?

Designing a piezoelectric circuit involves selecting the appropriate piezoelectric material, designing the circuit layout, and choosing the necessary components such as amplifiers and resistors. It is important to consider the mechanical stress that the circuit will be subjected to and ensure that the components can withstand it.

5. What are some common issues with piezoelectric circuits?

One common issue with piezoelectric circuits is signal interference from external sources, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements or performance of the circuit. Another issue is the effect of temperature on the piezoelectric material, which can cause variations in the output voltage. Proper shielding and temperature compensation techniques can help mitigate these issues.