An intuitive meaning to the phase constant k?

In summary, k is just defined this way to get the period of sin(x) to be λ by using sin(kx), so I wondered if there's something more to it. (Though I know it can be used as an vector to declare the direction of the wave.) Sinusoids have a spatial frequency and a temporal frequency.
rem1618
k being the one from the harmonic wave ψ(x,t) = Asin(kx - ωt) where k = 2π/λ

The way I see it right now, k is just defined this way to get the period of sin(x) to be λ by using sin(kx), so I wondered if there's something more to it. (Though I know it can be used as an vector to declare the direction of the wave.)

I played with the trig stuff a bit. I know that a harmonic wave can be traced by a point in a circular motion. sin(x) traces the circle with a period of 2π so I take that to be a circle with 2π circumference and radius 1. Doing the same with sin(kx) gets a circle with λ circumference and radius 1/k.

So k seems to be related to 1/r or the curvature? I found it interesting too that if I directly substitute k with 1/r, the ω in ω = v/r from mechanics can be found with the ω in ω = kv from waves.

Is there some insight to take away from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
From that wiki, I like the phrase "spatial frequency". Thats how I internalize it. Its the spatial version of time's "omega" (angular frequency).

The radius and circumference of the 'generating' circle for sinusoids aren't related to either [itex]\omega[/itex], or its spatial analogue, k. The circle radius gives the amplitude of the sinusoid.

I don't think you're going to get a much better intuitive feel for k than what I've just mentioned: it's the spatial analogue of [itex]\omega[/itex]. But there's rather a neat extension to the idea when you deal with waves propagating in 3 dimensions. We then define a vector, [itex]\vec{k}[/itex], having a magnitude, k, equal to [itex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex] and direction that of the direction of wave propagation. This enables neat mathematical handling of wave propagation equations. For example, the displacement, y, at any point in the path of a plane sinusoidal wave may be written as
[tex]y =y_0 sin [\omega t - \vec{k}.\vec{r} + \epsilon].[/tex]

For the OP.
To understand the meaning of k: fix the time t, as if you made a photo of the experiment and see what happens mathematically varying the point x of the space (you can fix t = 0).
To understand the meaning of ω: fix a point x of the space (you can choose x = 0) and see what happens varying the time.

You then understand why, as someone has already written, k can be called "spatial frequency" and ω can be called "temporal frequency".

--
lightarrow

Related to An intuitive meaning to the phase constant k?

1. What is the phase constant k?

The phase constant k is a term used in physics and engineering to represent the phase shift or phase difference between two sinusoidal waveforms. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter phi (φ) and is measured in radians.

2. How is the phase constant k related to frequency and wavelength?

The phase constant k is directly related to the frequency and wavelength of a wave. It can be calculated using the formula k = 2π/λ, where λ represents the wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the phase constant also increases, and as the wavelength decreases, the phase constant also increases.

3. What is the significance of the phase constant k in wave interference?

In wave interference, the phase constant k determines the phase difference between two interfering waves. If the phase constant is zero, the waves are in phase and constructive interference occurs. If the phase constant is π or any multiple of π, the waves are out of phase and destructive interference occurs.

4. Can the phase constant k have a negative value?

Yes, the phase constant k can have a negative value. This means that the wave is shifted backwards in time and can be interpreted as a phase shift in the opposite direction.

5. How does the phase constant k affect the amplitude of a wave?

The phase constant k does not directly affect the amplitude of a wave. However, it can affect the relative amplitudes of interfering waves, which in turn can affect the overall amplitude of the resulting wave. This is because the amplitude of a wave is determined by the superposition of the amplitudes of each individual wave in the interference pattern.