An object moves with constant speed

In summary, the relationship between the velocity and acceleration vectors is that when the speed is constant, the derivative of the velocity is zero. This can be proven by differentiating the dot product of the velocity vector with itself, which results in the acceleration vector being orthogonal to the velocity vector. Therefore, the acceleration is zero when the speed is constant.
reyrey389

Homework Statement

What relationship exists between the velocity and acceleration vectors? Prove your claim

Homework Equations

Since speed = |v| = constant, acceleration_tangential = d|v|/dt = 0. My question is on the "prove your claim part" Can I see simply just say let v(t) = a*i + b*t j (i = unit vector i, j = unit vector j). And since there is no t next to a or b, v(t) doesn't change and it's deritvative is zero ? Or do I have to show using dot product/cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's a bit too loose handwaving there. Try considering
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left(\mathbf{v}^{2}\right) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}\right)[/tex]
and see where that leads you to.

Fightfish said:
I think that's a bit too loose handwaving there. Try considering
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left(\mathbf{v}^{2}\right) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \left(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{v}\right)[/tex]
and see where that leads you to.

Hi thanks for the quick response. I 'm not sure where to go with that. I know there's a theorem that says the dot product of a vector with itself is the magnitutde of the vector squared, but I am not sure where I can go with what you said..

But on the other hand, can I also use this formula , a = v' T + kv^2 N where v = speed , k= curvature, T = unit tangent ,, N= unit normal ,and since speed is constant v' is zero so a_tangential is 0 ?

thanks

reyrey389 said:
Hi thanks for the quick response. I 'm not sure where to go with that. I know there's a theorem that says the dot product of a vector with itself is the magnitutde of the vector squared, but I am not sure where I can go with what you said..

Why not differentiate the right-hand side? Assuming you know how to differentiate a dot product?

reyrey389 said:
But on the other hand, can I also use this formula , a = v' T + kv^2 N where v = speed , k= curvature, T = unit tangent ,, N= unit normal ,and since speed is constant v' is zero so a_tangential is 0 ?
I don't think that's a general formula. Actually, come to think of it, you have not formulated your claim clearly in the first place. The question asked you for the relationship between the acceleration and velocity vectors. All you have said is that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}|\mathbf{v}| = 0[/itex], which is just restating that the speed is constant.

reyrey389 said:
Yes. So [itex]\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{v}^{2}[/itex] is simply the speed squared, which is constant with time here. You will also need to recall that
[itex]\mathbf{a} = \frac{d}{dt}\mathbf{v}[/itex]

PeroK said:
Why not differentiate the right-hand side? Assuming you know how to differentiate a dot product?

So d/dt (v • v) = v'•v + v•v' = 2 v•v' but I'm not sure where to go with this, is it that since the two vectors are orthogonal their dot product is thus zero and since this dot product = d/dt |v|^2 then that quantity is also zero , so acceleration is zero?
Fightfish said:
I don't think that's a general formula. Actually, come to think of it, you have not formulated your claim clearly in the first place. The question asked you for the relationship between the acceleration and velocity vectors. All you have said is that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}|\mathbf{v}| = 0[/itex], which is just restating that the speed is constant.

So since d/dt (v • v) = d/dt |v|^2 and since v doesn't depend on t, the right hand derivative is the derivative of a constant and thus zero?

reyrey389 said:
So d/dt (v • v) = v'•v + v•v' = 2 v•v' but I'm not sure where to go with this, is it that since the two vectors are orthogonal their dot product is thus zero and since this dot product = d/dt |v|^2 then that quantity is also zero , so acceleration is zero?

Go back a step. You have:

## \frac{d}{dt}(v^2) = 2 \mathbf{v.a} ##

What do you know about the left hand side?

PeroK said:
Go back a step. You have:

## \frac{d}{dt}(v^2) = 2 \mathbf{v.a} ##

What do you know about the left hand side?
That it is zero since |v| doesn't change. So a•v= 0 meaning either the vectors are orthogonal or one of the vectors is the zero vector ?

reyrey389 said:
That it is zero since |v| doesn't change. So a•v= 0 meaning either the vectors are orthogonal or one of the vectors is the zero vector ?

QED!

1. How is constant speed different from average speed?

Constant speed refers to the rate at which an object moves without changing, meaning it covers the same distance in the same amount of time. Average speed, on the other hand, is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken and may vary throughout the journey.

2. What causes an object to move with constant speed?

An object moves with constant speed when there is no net force acting on it. This means that the forces pushing or pulling the object are balanced, resulting in a steady movement without any changes in speed.

3. Can an object move with constant speed in a curved path?

Yes, an object can move with constant speed in a curved path. This is called uniform circular motion. In this case, the object is constantly changing direction, but its speed remains the same, resulting in a circular motion.

4. How is constant speed related to velocity?

Constant speed is a component of velocity. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. When an object moves with constant speed, its velocity will also be constant, but its direction may change.

5. Can an object maintain a constant speed forever?

In theory, an object can maintain a constant speed forever if there is no external force acting on it. However, in the real world, there will always be some form of resistance or friction that will eventually slow down the object and cause it to stop or change its speed.