Analysis of Filters: Calculating Characteristic Impedance Z0T

In summary, the author found Z0T by considering Z1/2 in parallel with Z2 & the resultant is in series with Z1/2... & a different expression is coming but not this one..!
ranju

Homework Statement

In the given filter network , we have to find the characteristic impedance Z0T
And the author found it as Z0T= √Z12/4 + Z1Z2
But I didn't get this , how this expression came up..!
I found Z0 by considering Z1/2 in parallel with Z2 & the resultant is in series with Z1/2... & a different expression is coming but not this one..! Please explain..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Z0 by considering Z1/2 in parallel with Z2 & the resultant is in series with Z1/2... & a different expression is coming but not this one..! Please explain.. I have got know that it is characteristic impedance of particularly T-network , but how this came up??[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20150513_203817.jpg
    IMG_20150513_203817.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ranju said:

Homework Statement

In the given filter network , we have to find the characteristic impedance Z0T
And the author found it as Z0T= √Z12/4 + Z1Z2
I doubt the author came up with that. It's dimensionally wrong.

If you use LATEX your expression for ZOT will show up properly. The expression you show should be:

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{Z1^2}{4}+Z1 Z2}[/itex]

which is correct.

Have a look at this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_impedance

under the heading "Relation to characteristic impedance". If you're still having trouble deriving ZOT, ask again here.

I am doubtful in the derivation only , the circuit I'hv attached according to that how Z0T is coming out as stated by the author..??

ranju said:
I am doubtful in the derivation only , the circuit I'hv attached according to that how Z0T is coming out as stated by the author..??
You'll have to show the details of your attempt (show the algebra) so helpers can see what you've tried and where things might be going astray. Helpers will not provide a solution for you.

ranju said:

Under the heading "Measurement" on the page I referenced: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_impedance

you will find the expression for the image impedance [itex] Z_{i1} = \sqrt{Z_{SC} Z_{OC}}[/itex].

Can you calculate ZSC, the impedance at the input port with the output port short-circuited, and ZOC, the impedance at the input port with the output port open-circuited?

As explained on that page, for a symmetric finite network such as yours, the input image impedance is the characteristic impedance, so calculate the input image impedance for your network. What do you get for this calculation? Show your algebra.

Likes ranju
I have got it and the write expression..thanks a lot for your guidance..

1. What is the purpose of calculating characteristic impedance Z0T for filters?

The characteristic impedance Z0T is an important parameter in filter analysis as it helps determine the performance and behavior of the filter. It is particularly useful in designing and optimizing filters for specific applications, as it can affect the filter's frequency response, insertion loss, and return loss.

2. How is characteristic impedance Z0T calculated for filters?

Characteristic impedance Z0T can be calculated using the filter's circuit parameters, such as the values of its inductors and capacitors. It can also be calculated using the filter's physical dimensions, such as the length and width of its transmission lines.

3. Why is the characteristic impedance Z0T different for different types of filters?

The characteristic impedance Z0T is influenced by the physical structure and electrical properties of the filter. Different types of filters, such as low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-stop filters, have varying structures and components, resulting in different characteristic impedances.

4. How does the characteristic impedance Z0T affect the overall performance of a filter?

The characteristic impedance Z0T is a key factor in determining the filter's passband and stopband frequencies, as well as its insertion loss and return loss. A mismatch in the characteristic impedance can lead to signal reflections and affect the filter's performance, leading to distortions and signal loss.

5. What are some techniques for optimizing the characteristic impedance Z0T for filter design?

Some common techniques for optimizing the characteristic impedance Z0T include using transmission lines with specific dimensions, using impedance matching networks, and adjusting the values of the filter's components. Simulation and testing can also be used to fine-tune the characteristic impedance for optimal filter performance.