Basic AC Circuit Question on Equivalent Impedance

In summary: You can simplify the bottom by recognizing ##(2+2j)(2-2j) = 4 - (2j)^2 = 4 - (-1) = 5##. You can simplify the top using the distributive law and the fact that ##j^2 = -1##, but I would just leave it as ##-4j##. So the whole thing is ##\frac{-4j(2+2j)}{5} = \frac{-8j - 8j^2}{5} = \frac{8 - 8j}{5}##. That's the impedance of the second term alone. Now you can add that to the impedance of the first term to get the
captjackAV

Homework Statement

If R1 = 2 Ω, X1 = 1 Ω, R2 = 2 Ω, and X2 = -2 Ω , the equivalent impedance Zeq (in ohms) at terminals a and b is:

(the circuit diagram is attached to this post)

ac circuit.png

a. 3 + j 0
b. 3 + j 2
c. 3 - j 2
d. 0 - j 2
e. 0 + j 2

The answer is a. I have no idea how to get the answer. I have tried to simplify the circuit but I do not think I am doing it right.

Homework Equations

Series: Zeq = Z1 + Z2
Parallel: Zeq = (Z1*Z2)/(Z1 + Z2)
Total Impedance is Z= r +jX
Zc = -jXc
ZL = j(XL)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to:
1. combine R2 and and the capacitor in parallel (i think my errors occur here) i got (2+j) + (-4j/(2-2j))
2. combine R1 and the inductor in series (i got 2 +j1)
3. combine the rest in series.

Physics news on Phys.org
captjackAV said:

Homework Statement

If R1 = 2 Ω, X1 = 1 Ω, R2 = 2 Ω, and X2 = -2 Ω , the equivalent impedance Zeq (in ohms) at terminals a and b is:

(the circuit diagram is attached to this post)

View attachment 61215

a. 3 + j 0
b. 3 + j 2
c. 3 - j 2
d. 0 - j 2
e. 0 + j 2

The answer is a. I have no idea how to get the answer. I have tried to simplify the circuit but I do not think I am doing it right.

Homework Equations

Series: Zeq = Z1 + Z2
Parallel: Zeq = (Z1*Z2)/(Z1 + Z2)
Total Impedance is Z= r +jX
Zc = -jXc
ZL = j(XL)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to:
1. combine R2 and and the capacitor in parallel (i think my errors occur here) i got (2+j) + (-4j/(2-2j))
2. combine R1 and the inductor in series (i got 2 +j1)
3. combine the rest in series.
It looks like the result you have to step 1 already includes R1 and the inductor. It is, in fact, correct and simplifies to the correct answer for the problem. For just R2 and the capacitor, the impedance is given by the second term.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. So when I try to simplify (2+j) + (-4j/(2-2j)), I am getting a fraction. How do I simplify this correctly? and what happens if there is a j^2.

First, ##j^2 = -1##. You want to get j out of the denominator of the second term. The standard technique would be to multiply the top and bottom by the conjugate of the denominator, i.e. by ##\frac{2+2j}{2+2j}##.

Likes 1 person
(i got 4 + j1)

Your attempt at solving the problem is partially correct. Here is a step-by-step solution to help you understand how to get the answer:

1. Simplify the components in series: R1 and X1.
Z1 = 2 + j1

2. Simplify the components in parallel: R2 and X2.
Z2 = (2 * (-2j)) / (2 + (-2j))
Z2 = (-4j) / (2 - 2j)
Z2 = (-4j) * (2 + 2j) / (2 - 2j) * (2 + 2j)
Z2 = (-8 - 8j) / (4 + 4j - 4j - 4j^2)
Z2 = (-8 - 8j) / (4 + 4)
Z2 = (-8 - 8j) / 8
Z2 = -1 - j

3. Combine the simplified components in series: Z1 and Z2.
Zeq = Z1 + Z2
Zeq = (2 + j1) + (-1 - j)
Zeq = 1 + j

Therefore, the equivalent impedance at terminals a and b is 1 + j ohms. This can also be written as 1 + j0 ohms, which is the same as option a.

It is important to note that when combining components in parallel, you need to use the formula Zeq = (Z1*Z2)/(Z1 + Z2). You also need to be careful with the signs of the imaginary components (j) when simplifying in parallel. In this case, the negative sign on X2 becomes positive when combined with R2 in parallel.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve this type of problem. Remember to always double check your calculations and pay attention to the signs of the components. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is equivalent impedance in a basic AC circuit?

Equivalent impedance refers to the combined resistance, inductance, and capacitance of a circuit, represented as a single complex number. It represents the total opposition to the flow of alternating current in a circuit.

2. How do you calculate equivalent impedance?

To calculate equivalent impedance, you need to first calculate the individual impedances of each component in the circuit (resistors, inductors, and capacitors). Then, you can use the appropriate formulas to combine these impedances into a single complex number representing the total impedance of the circuit.

3. What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Resistance refers to the opposition to the flow of direct current in a circuit, while impedance refers to the opposition to the flow of alternating current. Impedance takes into account not only resistance, but also the effects of inductance and capacitance in a circuit.

4. How does impedance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Impedance affects the flow of current in a circuit, as it determines the total opposition to the flow of alternating current. It also influences the voltage and current relationship in a circuit, as changes in impedance can affect the amplitude and phase of these quantities.

5. What are some common applications of equivalent impedance?

Equivalent impedance is used in many applications, including electrical power systems, audio systems, and communication systems. It is also important in analyzing the behavior of electronic circuits and designing filters and other circuit components.