Analysis to try and find the required sections for a telescopic beam

In summary, the conversation is about designing a rowing machine with a central beam that can telescope down into four individual beams. The main problem is determining whether to analyze the beam as a whole or as individual sections. There is also confusion about how to apply the force of the user (1090.9N) and account for the fact that each beam only has one point of support. Currently, there are no equations being used, but eventually, the engineer's bending formula will be used.
sunbite

Homework Statement

Hi all. This is for a piece of Design coursework to design a rowing machine. I want to have the central beam the seat slides on be constructed from four individual beams the can telescope down, each with a single welded support. I'm really struggling on starting my (probably rather basic) analysis. The first step is to make a free body diagram but I am confused as to whether I should take the beam as a whole or as each individual section. Can anybody offer any tips?
The main problem I have just now is that if I take each individual beam as a section they only have one point of support (imagine an L rotated by 90°) surely any analysis would result in it tipping over. Also do I apply the force of the user 1090.9N to each section individually as in reality that force is only applied once across all four beams

Homework Equations

Just now I don't have any as until I get to shear force and bending moment diagrams its all graphical techniques or trigonometry. Eventually I think I use σ=My/I (the engineers bending formula) but that's later on

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched the free body intially as the outline of the entire frame, but now I'm confused as to whether I have drawn it correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
. The force of the user (1090.9N) is only applied once, but am I right in saying that the force will be distributed across each individual beam? And if so, how much force should I put down for each beam? Also how do I account for the fact that each beam has only one point of support?

Related to Analysis to try and find the required sections for a telescopic beam

1. What is the purpose of conducting an analysis for a telescopic beam?

The purpose of an analysis for a telescopic beam is to determine the required sections and dimensions that will allow the beam to meet its functional and structural requirements. This includes understanding the load and stress distribution, material properties, and other factors that may impact the design of the beam.

2. What factors should be considered when conducting an analysis for a telescopic beam?

Some of the factors that should be considered when conducting an analysis for a telescopic beam include: the expected load and stress on the beam, the material properties of the beam, the desired length and strength of the beam, and any environmental factors that may impact the beam's performance.

3. How is an analysis for a telescopic beam typically performed?

An analysis for a telescopic beam is typically performed using engineering software or mathematical equations. This allows for accurate calculations and simulations to be conducted, taking into account all relevant variables and factors.

4. What are the potential challenges when conducting an analysis for a telescopic beam?

Some potential challenges when conducting an analysis for a telescopic beam include accurately predicting the load and stress on the beam, accounting for all potential environmental factors, and selecting the appropriate material and dimensions to meet the beam's requirements.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when analyzing for a telescopic beam?

Yes, safety considerations should always be a top priority when conducting an analysis for a telescopic beam. This includes ensuring the beam is able to withstand expected loads and stresses without failure, as well as considering any potential hazards or risks associated with the beam's use in its intended application.