Ancient Greek over Modern Physics? I'm a Math, Nuke E major

In summary, the speaker is a 3rd year math major with a minor in nuclear engineering, looking to get into graduate school for nuclear engineering. They are considering taking an ancient Greek course instead of modern physics due to a scheduling conflict and their interest in classical literature and culture. They are concerned about how this may affect their chances of being admitted to a graduate program and if they have taken enough relevant coursework. They have looked into programs at Texas A&M and Wisconsin Madison and have been advised to speak with their advisor about rearranging their schedule to include nuclear physics. The speaker believes that taking the ancient Greek course should not prevent them from being admitted, but acknowledges the importance of having a strong background in nuclear engineering for graduate school.
IA700
Ancient Greek over Modern Physics?? I'm a Math, Nuke E major

Hi,

This fall, I'm 3rd yr math major w/ a nuke E minor, & looking to get into grad school in Nuke E.

It's alright if you say this is stupid, I merely want to know what you think.

I plan to take ancient greek 101 over modern physics (schedule conflict). Yes, that's right. I took Latin for two semesters and enjoyed it, and am excited to start Greek. I have a huge interest in classical lit and culture. mAth is just another hobby.

Modern physics at my school is a 2 part course over 2 semesters, and by taking greek, I can only take the first semester. What would the grad school admissions people say / think? My main concern is I don't want to look like a slacker or something, by taking these 101 courses (Even if I am highly interested in them).

Once again, just looking for thoughts, opinions. Thx

Physics news on Phys.org

If you want to go to graduate school for Nuke-Eng, you need to be prepared to take nuclear physics upon entering. I think that most schools (depending on what area you want to specialize in -- fusion, fission, a more plasma-physics route, etc) expect you to have taken a nuclear physics course before entering. I have, in a very passive-minded way, been looking at texas a&m and wisconsin madison's nuclear engineering grad programs. Rest assured that I can in fact tell you that neither one of these schools listed a nuclear physics (to which Modern Physics would be a pre-requisite) as an end all be all requirement, but I do think that it would significantly help to have it.

Madison had a list of courses published. Below this list they basically said, "If you have not taken at least x of these courses, don't bother applying". One of these courses was nuclear physics (additionally, I remember an advanced math course beyond differential equations, like Real Analysis; thermodynamics/fluids; materials science; and some others, I don't remember of the top of my head..mostly stuff that is covered in an ME curriculum).

I think that it would be most wise to speak with your adviser and see if you re-arrange your schedule to squeeze in physics III, and get nuclear physics in sometime during your 4th year, if you are truly considering nuclear engineering graduate school.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know for a fact that you can get into, and do very well in, a nuclear engineering program with nothing more than a degree in mechanical engineering (in fact, from what I know, this is where many nuclear engineers start). However, you are a mathematics major, not ME, and not knowing how how deep into the NE curriculum you are going leaves me pretty much in the dark.

You could be 2 credits from having a second major, or have only taken 15 credits...
What I can say is that I highly doubt a NE grad program would admit a mathematician. Sorry, I sort-of got away from the question. In the end, if you are otherwise admissible I cannot imagine that taking ancient greek 101 would keep you form being admitted, but before deciding to take ancient greek 101, I would put serious thought into whether you have taken sufficient NE-applicable coursework to be a competitive candidate. Ask your adviser. Check with the programs you are interested in.

1. What are the main differences between Ancient Greek and Modern Physics?

The main differences between Ancient Greek and Modern Physics are the theories and methods used to understand the natural world. Ancient Greek physics was primarily based on philosophical speculation and observation, while modern physics relies heavily on mathematical equations and experimental evidence. Additionally, modern physics has discovered many new concepts and laws that were unknown to the Ancient Greeks, such as relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How did Ancient Greek ideas contribute to the development of Modern Physics?

Ancient Greek ideas, particularly those of Aristotle and Plato, laid the foundation for modern physics. Their theories on the nature of matter, space, and motion influenced later scientists and philosophers, such as Galileo and Newton. The Ancient Greeks also introduced the concept of natural laws and the use of mathematics to explain the natural world, which are key components of modern physics.

3. What role did mathematics play in Ancient Greek and Modern Physics?

In Ancient Greek physics, mathematics served as a tool for understanding the world and developing theories, but it was not the primary focus. In contrast, modern physics relies heavily on mathematical equations and models to explain and predict natural phenomena. Mathematics has become an essential language in modern physics, allowing scientists to accurately describe and study the behavior of the universe.

4. How did the study of nuclear engineering relate to Ancient Greek and Modern Physics?

Nuclear engineering, which involves the study and application of nuclear processes, is closely related to both Ancient Greek and Modern Physics. The Ancient Greeks were fascinated with the concept of atoms and their properties, which laid the foundation for modern atomic theory. Modern physics, particularly quantum mechanics, has greatly advanced our understanding of nuclear processes and has led to the development of nuclear technology.

5. How do the principles of Ancient Greek and Modern Physics impact our daily lives?

Ancient Greek and Modern Physics have greatly impacted our daily lives in numerous ways. Many modern technologies, such as computers, smartphones, and medical devices, are based on principles of modern physics. Additionally, our understanding of the natural world and the universe has been greatly expanded through advancements in modern physics, shaping our worldview and leading to new discoveries and innovations.