Angle of deformation in ANSYS Workbench

In summary: ANSYS provides a torsion analysis capability in the Strain Element Analysis toolbox. To do a torsion analysis, you would need to define a moment arm and specify the twist angle. You can also specify the number of twists and the maximum amount of twist. Here is a link to the documentation that explains how to do a torsion analysis.In summary,CFDFEAGURU can help you with your question about torsion analysis.
dacorsa
Hi everyone,

I'm here to ask you one thing of ansys, I made this model with solidworks and I imported into ansys as STEP files (which is the difference in how import solidworks file?), I defined the part that will be studied and applied as you can see in the attached photo, a linear deformation at the edges, that is, the entry of this flexible stainless steel. Now the problem is , how can i set in ANSYS the rotation of the edges, a rotation of 8 °, how? I have found in "displacement remote" the possibility of entering a corner but then the simulation model is deformed in an incredible way and unrealistic. How can I do?

After i realized that the bar Environment and clicking Supports there is an option "Fixed rotation" but it is grayed out ... why?

I tried to select an edge, a point, but it remains a gray area ... I do not know how to do.

I hope some of you know, thanks in advance

ugo

Attachments

• Picture0003.jpg
    Picture0003.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,678
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am an APDL user but have you tried creating a local coordinate system that is rotated 8 degrees in the direction that you desire?

Thanks CFDFEAGURU,

i have already made that! now i want to calculate the moment and the force on an area if i apply deformation linear and a rotation. Do u know how to do that?

Why under Solution in ansys workbench there isn't moment and force?

thanks in advance!

If you are in the Static Structural section of the tree on the left hand side of the screen, there is a force and a moment input that you can select.

upload_2014-10-3_14-14-21.png

Oh, you must be looking for the nodal reactions if you are in the solution. Here is how you can get the reactions at the supports you have defined.

upload_2014-10-3_14-26-6.png

Just pick, Force Reaction and then Moment Reaction. You will have to right click on them once they are in the tree and select "Evaluate Results"

Excuse me ,
but i want to find the value of the moment, so i have to find in "Solution"

Isn't true? thanks!

And you will get this

upload_2014-10-3_14-28-5.png

dacorsa said:
Excuse me ,
but i want to find the value of the moment, so i have to find in "Solution"

Isn't true? thanks!

See the update posts with screenshots of how you can get the reactions.

ok that's it!

u are more fast than me! the problem now it's if i go to press Solve, doesn't go to solve...ask me other thing!

Can you post a screenshot of what it is asking you when you click on solve?

here it is:

Attachments

• Picture0001.jpg
    Picture0001.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,761
Well, the solution has failed, that is what the red lightning bolts indicate. You have an undefined Moment load (the one with the ? in front of it) Suppress the undefined moment load or delete it and the solve the model. I am assuming you have the model constrained properly so rigid body motion will not occur.

ok CFDFEAGURU!

i have made what i want to do! THANKS!

Attachments

• Picture0002.jpg
    Picture0002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,939
Likes CFDFEAGURU
I am glad it all worked out for you. :)

hi CFDFEAGURU,

i want to ask you if you can send me a pdf to better use ANSYS , can u help me?

please if u can use my email utomei @ tiscali.it

Unfortunately, there isn't a single pdf that could allow you to fully understand ANSYS. What type of problem are you trying to solve? The real power of ANSYS is in APDL.

Hi,
Is there a way (a user defined results expression) to plot a moment v rotation curve??
Thanks

CFDFEAGURU said:
I am an APDL user but have you tried creating a local coordinate system that is rotated 8 degrees in the direction that you desire?

Hi CFDFEAGURU, hope you can answer my question. I already create the local coordinate system that is rotated at certain degrees, but how I want to put a force or moment to get the rotation ?

dacorsa said:
Thanks CFDFEAGURU,

i have already made that! now i want to calculate the moment and the force on an area if i apply deformation linear and a rotation. Do u know how to do that?

Why under Solution in ansys workbench there isn't moment and force?

thanks in advance!

Hi dacorsa, I hope you can answer my question. How you apply force to rotate your part at 8 degrees using the local coordinate system ? Tq

Hi CFDFEAGURI,

I am a beginner in ANSYS and i was looking to do a torsion analysis on a thin copper. The geometry is rectangular - 4 mm by .075 mm and 150 mm length.
I have fixed one end and applied moment on the other. I want to calculate how many twists will result based on given moment value. I also wanted to know what is the max amount of twist before the material (im using copper alloy) starts to bend instead of twisting. (Basically the minimum twist pitch)

Thanks

What is the angle of deformation in ANSYS Workbench?

The angle of deformation, also known as the angular displacement, is a measure of the amount and direction of rotation of a body or component in response to an applied load. It is an important parameter in ANSYS Workbench as it helps engineers understand the behavior of structures under various loading conditions.

How is the angle of deformation calculated in ANSYS Workbench?

The angle of deformation is calculated using the finite element method, which breaks down a complex structure into smaller elements and solves for their individual displacements. The total deformation of the structure is then calculated by combining the displacements of each element.

What factors can affect the angle of deformation in ANSYS Workbench?

The angle of deformation can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material properties of the structure, the type and magnitude of the applied load, and the boundary conditions. Changes in any of these factors can result in different angles of deformation.

How can the angle of deformation be visualized in ANSYS Workbench?

The angle of deformation can be visualized in ANSYS Workbench through the use of contour plots. These plots show the distribution of displacements and deformations across the structure, allowing engineers to identify areas of high or low deformation and make necessary design changes.

What is the significance of the angle of deformation in ANSYS Workbench for structural analysis?

The angle of deformation is a critical parameter in structural analysis as it helps engineers understand how a structure will behave under different loading conditions. By analyzing the angle of deformation, engineers can make informed decisions about the design and performance of a structure, ensuring its safety and efficiency.