Angular acceleration, density question

In summary: Anyway, now you have a formula for the moment of inertia, and you know the torque, so you can find the angular acceleration. Do you know how to use the formula for the volume of a cylinder? If you do, try to find the volume of ice below the surface of the water. Then use the density formula to find the density of the ice. The formula for density is ρ=mg/V, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and V is the volume. Once you have the density of ice, you can compare it to the density of water to find the ratio.
letsfailsafe

Homework Statement

First question:
"A DVD player can exert a torque on a DVD of 10−3 N⋅m. What is the DVD’s angular acceleration in rad/s2?

Details and assumptions
  • The DVD has a mass of 0.015 kg and a radius of 0.06 m.
  • A DVD can be modeled as a thin uniform cylinder.
"

Second question:
"A cube of ice 2 cm on a side is floating in a glass of water. You observe that the top of the ice is 0.166 cm above the surface of the water. What is the ratio of the density of ice to the density of water?"

Homework Equations

First question:
α = [itex]\tau[/itex] / I
I = Ʃmr2

The Attempt at a Solution

First question:
α = 0.001 / ((0.015)(0.06)2)
= 18.5185

Not sure how I can do the second question at all...
I've got these two questions from the internet.
Please help me solve these question.

Physics news on Phys.org
letsfailsafe said:
= 18.5185
Yes, given the problem statement, but I'm astonished a DVD is to be modeled as a thin cylinder. A disc would be more reasonable, and that would change the answer.

For the 2nd problem (in future, pls use separate threads for unrelated problems), what determines the volume of the ice that will be below water?

= 18.5185

is not right...

1. The moment of inertia of a disc or thin cylinder is

I = 1/2 Mr2

so you are out by a factor of 2.

2. For this question you can start out with Archimedes' principle which states that the bouyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the liquid that it displaces.

Basic_Physics said:
1. The moment of inertia of a disc or thin cylinder is
I = 1/2 Mr2
For a disc, yes, but not for a thin cylinder about its axis. And it does say cylinder, strange though that is.
Perhaps it meant short fat cylinder, but then why not just say disc?

A thin solid cylinder would be a disc?

Maybe I usually help 'too much'... :redface: To get started, think about the forces acting on the ice cube.
ƩF=0 ⇔
G=N...

Basic_Physics said:
A thin solid cylinder would be a disc?
It doesn't say solid, you've added that. The most obvious interpretation of 'thin cylinder' is that it is a tube with a thin wall, i.e. the cross-section has a narrow annulus. If it means thin the other way, why not say a very short solid cylinder, or even more naturally, a disc? But it is quite possible that the question is just very poorly worded.

Related to Angular acceleration, density question

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and is typically measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: angular acceleration = (final angular velocity - initial angular velocity) / time.

3. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The main factors that affect angular acceleration are the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque applied, the larger the angular acceleration, while a larger moment of inertia or a larger distance from the axis of rotation will result in a smaller angular acceleration.

4. How does angular acceleration differ from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear velocity is changing. Angular acceleration is usually measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

5. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and density?

There is no direct relationship between angular acceleration and density. Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, while density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a certain volume. However, the density of an object can affect its moment of inertia, which in turn can affect its angular acceleration.