Angular acceleration of a wheel w/string on inner hub?

In summary: I found that the resulting angular acceleration will be 0.45 rad/s^2, the mass will take 1.2 seconds to reach the floor, the total angular displacement will be 0.324 rad, the work done on the wheel by external torque will be 4.9 J, and the angular kinetic energy of the wheel will be 0.76 J.In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a bicycle wheel with a mounted ring shape and a mass attached to a string wrapped around an inner hub. The questions revolved around the resulting angular acceleration, the time it takes for the mass to reach the floor, the total angular displacement of the wheel, the work done on the wheel by external torque, and the
Grey_Thunderhead

Homework Statement

“A bicycle wheel is mounted as in the lab and as shown to the right. This wheel has a mass of 6.55 kg, a radius of R = 38.0 cm, and is in the shape of a ring. A mass M = 1.85 kg is attached to the end of a string which is wrapped around an inner hub which has a radius r = 5.40 cm. Initially, the mass M is at a distance h = 72.0 cm above the floor. Assume friction is negligible.”

a. What will be the resulting angular acceleration of this wheel?

b. How long will it take for mass M to reach the floor?

c. What will be the total angular displacement of the wheel during the time in which the mass M is falling to the floor?

d. How much work was done on the wheel by the external torque as the mass M falls to the floor?

e. What will be the angular kinetic energy of this wheel just as mass M reaches the floor?

Homework Equations

τ = Iα

F=ma

a=αr

I=mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that Tr = Iα, and since T is mg-ma, I rewrote it as r(mg-ma)=(mr^2)α. Then, I tried to just divide r(mg-ma) by mr^2 to get α.My process went like this:[r(mg-ma)] / (mr^2) = α

(mgr-mar) / (mr^2) = α

mr(g-a) / (mr^2) = α

(g-a)/r = αBut that doesn’t seem to be helping me very much, as I don’t know a.

Since the rest of the questions seem to be dependent upon the answer to Part A, I didn’t know whether or not to try them.

Thanks so much to anyone who helps. I think once I get Part A I’ll be able to do the rest

Physics news on Phys.org
Grey_Thunderhead said:
I don’t know a.
Can you think of another relationship between a and α?

haruspex said:
Can you think of another relationship between a and α?
I've only ever been taught that angular acceleration is equal to the linear acceleration divided by the radius. I do know that α=Δω/Δt, and because ω is related to velocity, the α=a/r thing can be derived. Am I missing something important?

Grey_Thunderhead said:
angular acceleration is equal to the linear acceleration divided by the radius
So use that. But there are some mistakes in your work so far. There are two different masses and two different radii. You need to be careful not to confuse them.

haruspex said:
So use that. But there are some mistakes in your work so far. There are two different masses and two different radii. You need to be careful not to confuse them.
I finally got it, thanks so much for the tip because I was getting them mixed up

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of an object. It is the measure of how quickly the rotational speed of an object changes over time.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how an object's rotational speed changes over time, while linear acceleration is a measure of how an object's linear motion changes over time. They are two different types of acceleration and are measured in different units.

3. How is angular acceleration of a wheel with a string on the inner hub calculated?

The angular acceleration of a wheel with a string on the inner hub can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is: angular acceleration = (change in angular velocity) / (change in time).

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a wheel with a string on the inner hub?

The angular acceleration of a wheel with a string on the inner hub can be affected by the mass of the wheel, the length of the string, and the tension in the string. It can also be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does angular acceleration impact the motion of the wheel with a string on the inner hub?

Angular acceleration affects the rate at which the wheel rotates. A higher angular acceleration will result in a faster rotational speed, while a lower angular acceleration will result in a slower rotational speed. It is also related to the torque applied to the wheel, which can impact the overall motion of the wheel and string system.