Angular momentum: Grooved cone with a mass sliding down the groove

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for torque to maintain the cone's position and the potential impact of normal forces on this torque. It is determined that torque is exerted in the vertical plane and that angular momentum is conserved for the axis through the cone. The conversation ends with a confirmation that this information is correct.
madafo3435
Homework Statement
A cone of height h and base radius R is free to rotate around a fixed vertical axis. It has a thin groove cut in its surface. The cone is set rotating freely with angular speed ω0, and a small block of mass m is released in the top of the frictionless groove and allowed to slide under gravity. Assume that the block stays in the groove. Take the moment of inertia of the cone around the vertical axis to be I0. What is the angular speed of the cone when the block reaches the bottom?
Relevant Equations
I have considered the cone-block system, it seems to me the most sensible system, but I have problems in analyzing the angular momentum. In order for the cone to maintain its position, the axis of rotation must exert some torque and this confuses me. For example, the weight of the block generates a torque that forces the cone to oscillate, so the axis must do some torque to preserve the position of the cone, but I feel that the problem is too complicated with these considerations ...

Physics news on Phys.org
madafo3435 said:
In order for the cone to maintain its position, the axis of rotation must exert some torque
If you think of the torque the axle exerts as a pair of forces, what plane are they in? What torque do they have about the axis?

Likes madafo3435
haruspex said:
If you think of the torque the axle exerts as a pair of forces, what plane are they in? What torque do they have about the axis?
I suppose that in the vertical plane that moves with the weight of the cube ... could I then ignore the torque exerted by the weight, because I am only interested in rotation about the axis through the cone? In this case I find that for this axis angular momentum is conserved because normal forces are internal and there with the conservation of momentum in this way I can find a simple solution

madafo3435 said:
I suppose that in the vertical plane that moves with the weight of the cube ... could I then ignore the torque exerted by the weight, because I am only interested in rotation about the axis through the cone? In this case I find that for this axis angular momentum is conserved because normal forces are internal and there with the conservation of momentum in this way I can find a simple solution
Yes.

Likes madafo3435
haruspex said:
Yes.
Thank you very much for your comment!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a grooved cone with a mass sliding down the groove?

In this scenario, the grooved cone represents the rotating object and the mass sliding down the groove represents the moment of inertia. The angular momentum of the system is conserved, meaning it remains constant as the mass slides down the groove.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of the system?

The angular momentum of the system is affected by the mass and velocity of the sliding mass, as well as the shape and size of the grooved cone. The angle of the groove and the force of gravity also play a role in determining the angular momentum.

4. How does the angular momentum change as the mass slides down the groove?

As the mass slides down the groove, the moment of inertia decreases and the angular velocity increases, resulting in a constant angular momentum. This is known as conservation of angular momentum.

5. What real-life applications involve angular momentum of a grooved cone with a mass sliding down the groove?

One example is a centrifuge, which uses the principle of angular momentum to separate substances of different densities. Another example is a spinning top, where the angular momentum of the top keeps it upright and stable as it spins.