Angular Velocity with Bike Tires

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular velocity of a bicycle around a circular track and the angular velocity of a tire around its axis. The objective is to find the angular velocity of the tire by using the average angular velocity formula. The plan is to find the circumference of the track and the tire, calculate the angular displacement, and then divide by the elapsed time. The error was not taking into account the number of rotations the bike makes around the track, resulting in an incorrect answer. Once the correct calculation is done, the angular velocity is found to be 23 rad/s.
Spartan301

Homework Statement

Your bicycle tires have a radius of 0.33 m. It takes you 850 seconds to ride 14 times counterclockwise around a circular track of radius 73 m at a constant speed. (a) What is the angular velocity of the bicycle around the track? (b) What is the magnitude of the angular velocity of a tire around its axis? (That is, don’t worry about whether the tire’s rotation is clockwise or counterclockwise.)

Tire Radius = 0.33 m
Time : 850
14 rotations
Track Radius: 73 m

Homework Equations

Average angular velocity = angular displacement/elapsed time

The Attempt at a Solution

Objective for PART B: find angular velocity of the tire

Battle Plan:
Find circumference of track
Find circumference of tire
Find angular displacement (divide circumference of the track by the circumference of the tire)
Divide by elapsed time

Outcome:
73 * 2 * pi = 458.6725274 m
0.33 * 2 *pi = 2.073451151 m
divide the first by the second
221.2121212 rotations
Divide by 850 s
0.260249554 rots/s
0.260249554 rots/s * 2pi = 1.635196274 rad/sWould anyone be willing to tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I know the answer is supposed to be 23 rad/s but I do not see how to get there.

Thank you! (let me know if I can return the favor.)
-Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing circumference of the track by the circumference of the tire will not give you anything. You need to find it in the same way as you had done part A. (Here I presume you have done part A correctly as you posted problem with only part B)

ashishsinghal said:
Dividing circumference of the track by the circumference of the tire will not give you anything. You need to find it in the same way as you had done part A. (Here I presume you have done part A correctly as you posted problem with only part B)

Okay I just figured it out. Actually finding the circumferences did help.

I forgot to multiply the circumference of the track by the number of times the bike rotates around it. Once I multiplied the circumference of the track by 14 and did the math I had put together before, it worked!

Thanks for your help and let me know if I can return the favor.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How is angular velocity related to bike tires?

Bike tires rotate as the bike moves forward, and the speed of rotation is determined by the angular velocity. The faster the bike is moving, the higher the angular velocity of the tires.

What factors affect the angular velocity of bike tires?

The angular velocity of bike tires is affected by the size of the tires, the speed at which the bike is moving, and the gear ratio of the bike. A larger tire size or higher speed will result in a higher angular velocity.

How is angular velocity measured for bike tires?

Angular velocity for bike tires can be measured using a bike computer or a GPS device. These devices track the rotation of the tires and calculate the angular velocity based on the distance traveled and the time it takes to travel that distance.

Why is angular velocity important for biking?

Angular velocity is important for biking because it affects the stability and handling of the bike. A higher angular velocity can make the bike more difficult to control, while a lower angular velocity can make it easier to turn and maneuver.