Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves emerging from two buildings

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular width of the electromagnetic wave after it emerges from between two buildings with a distance of 15m between them. The wavelength of the 800 MHz signal is calculated to be .381m and the approach to solving the problem is similar to other single-slit diffraction problems. The equation used is aSin(theta) = wavelength, where a represents the slit width. However, the calculated angle of 1.43 degrees does not represent the angular width of the central maximum. Further clarification or assistance is needed to solve the problem.
randyjstark

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

I have one more problem left of my homework and I seemed to be stumped. I don't even know where to begin with this problem, which comes from the section of my book labeled Single-Slit Diffraction. Anyways, here is how the problem reads:

Problem 22.18

You need to use your cell phone, which broadcasts an 800 MHz signal, but you're behind two massive, radio-wave-absorbing buildings that have only a 15 m space between them.

What is the angular width, in degrees, of the electromagnetic wave after it emerges from between the buildings?

I calculated the wavelength at 800mhz = .381m
a= 15m (distance of the slit OR distance between two buildings.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to the slit being so large, I am not sure how to approach the problem. I assume that we cannot use a small-angle approximation due to how large the slit and wavelengths are.

I think the equation to use would be the following
delta r= a/2 *sin(theta) = wavelength/2
However, I am not sure how to rearrange to get theta.

I tried rearrangeing to get aSin(theta) = wavelength => theta = sin-1(wavelength/a) and got 1.43 degrees. Would this be correct or did I just hammer the problem?

If anyway can give me a hand (or somewhere to start) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Randy

Physics news on Phys.org
randyjstark said:
You need to use your cell phone, which broadcasts an 800 MHz signal, but you're behind two massive, radio-wave-absorbing buildings that have only a 15 m space between them.

What is the angular width, in degrees, of the electromagnetic wave after it emerges from between the buildings?

I've never heard of the "angular width...of the electromagnetic wave" before. I'm assuming that they meay the angular width of the central maximum.

I calculated the wavelength at 800mhz = .381m
a= 15m (distance of the slit OR distance between two buildings.

Yes, a would be the slit width.

Due to the slit being so large, I am not sure how to approach the problem. I assume that we cannot use a small-angle approximation due to how large the slit and wavelengths are.

Approach it like any other single-slit diffraction problem.

I tried rearrangeing to get aSin(theta) = wavelength => theta = sin-1(wavelength/a) and got 1.43 degrees. Would this be correct or did I just hammer the problem?

I agree that you need to find [itex]\theta=\sin^{-1}(\lambda/a)[/itex]. But you need to think about what angle that represents. That is not the angular width of the central maximum. So let me ask you, what angular width is it?

I do not know what angular width that represents. my book does not go into anymore details about this type of problem. Instead of just using a = 15m would I use a/2 = 7.5m? I do not know what else to do for this problem. I am kind of stumped.

Related to Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves emerging from two buildings

1. What is the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves?

The Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves refers to the measure of the spread of the electromagnetic waves emerging from two buildings. It is an angular measurement that describes how wide the waves are at a particular distance from the source.

2. How is the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves calculated?

The Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves can be calculated by using the formula: Angular Width = 2 x arctan (wavelength/distance between the buildings). This formula takes into account the wavelength of the waves and the distance between the two buildings to determine the angular width.

3. Why is the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves important?

The Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves is important because it affects the coverage and signal strength of wireless communication systems. It determines how much the waves spread out from the source and can impact the quality of the signal received by devices.

4. How does the height of the buildings affect the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves?

The height of the buildings can have a significant impact on the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves. The taller the buildings, the wider the angular width, as the waves have more space to spread out. This can also result in increased interference and reduced signal strength.

5. Can the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves be reduced?

Yes, the Angular Width of Electromagnetic Waves can be reduced by increasing the distance between the buildings or by using directional antennas. Directional antennas can focus the waves in a specific direction, reducing the angular width and improving signal strength in a particular area.