How Do You Solve an Annuity Differential Equation?

In summary: An easier way is to note that if ##V = S + (d/r)## then ##dV/dt = dS/dt = r V##, so ##V(t) = V_0 e^{rt}##, where ##V_0 = S_0 + d/r##.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Solve the annuity problem:
[itex] \frac{dS}{dt} = rS + d [/itex]
[itex] S(0) = S_0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

Integrating factor method equation
Future value of an annuity equation (this should be the final answer):
[itex] S(t) = S_0e^{rt} + \frac{d}{r}(e^{rt} - 1) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I am getting quite close to doing this derivation correctly. However, I keep ending up with a negative that should not be there.
First, I set:
[itex] p(x) = -r [/itex]
Then:
[itex] u(x) = e^{-rt} [/itex]
This means that I need to take the integral of:
[itex] \frac{d}{dt} (e^{-rt}S(t)) = de^{-rt} [/itex]
After taking the integral of both sides I end up with:
[itex] (e^{-rt} * S(t)) = - \frac{d}{r} e^{-rt} + C [/itex]
Therefore:
[itex] S(t) = - \frac{d}{r} + Ce^{rt} [/itex]
At this point I am not sure what to do because I believe that the negative symbol should not be there. If somebody could point out where my mistake is I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
_N3WTON_ said:
At this point I am not sure what to do because I believe that the negative symbol should not be there...

Why? Your answer seems to agree with ##
S(t) = S_0e^{rt} + \frac{d}{r}(e^{rt} - 1)
## if ##C=S_0+\frac{d}{r}##.

ZetaOfThree said:
Why? Your answer seems to agree with ##
S(t) = S_0e^{rt} + \frac{d}{r}(e^{rt} - 1)
## if ##C=S_0+\frac{d}{r}##.
ok I see it now, I guess I am just an idiot XD ...sorry for the waste of time, I forgot to do the initial value portion of the problem

_N3WTON_,
It's a good habit to get into to check a solution you get. If the solution you get 1) satisfies the initial condition, and 2) satisfies the differential equation, you're golden. You don't need us to verify that your solution is correct.

_N3WTON_ said:
ok I see it now, I guess I am just an idiot XD ...sorry for the waste of time, I forgot to do the initial value portion of the problem

An easier way is to note that if ##V = S + (d/r)## then ##dV/dt = dS/dt = r V##, so ##V(t) = V_0 e^{rt}##, where ##V_0 = S_0 + d/r##.

Related to How Do You Solve an Annuity Differential Equation?

What is the annuity equation derivation?

The annuity equation derivation is a mathematical process used to calculate the present value of a series of equal payments made at regular intervals over a specified period of time.

Why is the annuity equation derivation important?

The annuity equation derivation is important because it allows for the comparison of different investment options by calculating the present value of future cash flows and determining their current value.

What are the key components of the annuity equation derivation?

The key components of the annuity equation derivation include the interest rate, the number of payments, and the amount of each payment.

How is the annuity equation derivation used in financial planning?

The annuity equation derivation is commonly used in financial planning to determine the amount of money needed to reach a financial goal, such as retirement savings, by calculating the present value of future payments.

What are some limitations of the annuity equation derivation?

Some limitations of the annuity equation derivation include its assumption of equal payments at regular intervals and its inability to account for changes in interest rates or other external factors that may affect the value of the annuity over time.