Another Lagrangian question: Bead sliding along a horizontalotating ring

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal ring of mass M and radius a rotating freely about a vertical axis, with a bead of mass m sliding along the ring without friction. The Lagrangian function of the system is simply the kinetic energy, with an expression for the kinetic energy of the ring and the radial kinetic energy of the bead. The tangential component of the bead's velocity is the algebraic sum of the bead's and ring's tangential velocities. The solution to the problem can be found by contacting the speaker directly.
wdednam
Another Lagrangian problem: Bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring

Homework Statement

A horizontal ring of mass M and radius a rotates freely about a vertical axis passing through a point on its circumference. If a bead of mass m slides along the ring without friction, what is the Lagragian function of the bead-ring system? Also write down the Kinetic energy of the bead if the ring rotates at a constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] about the vertical axis.

Homework Equations

[tex] T = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}I\dot{\theta}^2 + \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m\bold{v}^2 [/tex]

[tex] L = T - V [/tex]

[tex] I = I_{CM} + MR^2 = 2Ma^2 [/tex] in this case

[tex] \bold{v}^2 = \bold{v_{radial}}^2 + \bold{v_{tangential}}^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, since the motion is horizontal, the gravitational potential energy of the system is constant and the Lagragian function of the system will simply be the kinetic energy of the system: L = T. Now, I can write down an expression for the kinetic energy of the ring (it is simply [tex]Ma^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]) and the radial kinetic energy of the bead ([tex]\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m\bold{v}^2 = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m\dot{r}^2[/tex] right?), but I don't know what the tangential component of the bead's velocity will look like. Is it simply the algebraic sum of the bead's and ring's tangential velocities? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again,

I found the solution. If you are interested in seeing it, send me a message and I'll give you the link. (I don't think it is within forum rules to post it here)

Thanks to everyone who started thinking about this problem and was going to get back to me later.

Cheers.

Related to Another Lagrangian question: Bead sliding along a horizontalotating ring

1. What is a Lagrangian equation?

A Lagrangian equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a system in terms of its kinetic and potential energies. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes its action (the integral of its kinetic energy minus its potential energy) over time.

2. How is a Lagrangian equation used in physics?

Lagrangian equations are commonly used in physics to describe the motion of particles, fluids, and other systems. They are especially useful in analyzing complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom, where traditional Newtonian mechanics may be difficult to apply.

3. What is the significance of the bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring problem?

The bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring problem is a classic example used in physics to illustrate the application of Lagrangian equations. It involves a small bead sliding along a frictionless ring that is rotating at a constant angular velocity. By solving for the equations of motion, one can determine the bead's trajectory and the forces acting on it.

4. What are the assumptions made in solving the bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring problem?

In solving the bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring problem, it is assumed that the ring is perfectly circular, the bead is small enough to be treated as a point mass, and there is no friction between the bead and the ring. It is also assumed that the ring is rotating at a constant angular velocity and that the forces acting on the bead are conservative.

5. How does the Lagrangian equation simplify the solution to the bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring problem?

The Lagrangian equation simplifies the solution to the bead sliding along a horizontal rotating ring problem by reducing the problem to a single variable, the angle of rotation of the ring. This allows for a more elegant and efficient solution compared to using traditional Newtonian mechanics, which would require solving for multiple variables and equations simultaneously.