Any AutoCad users? If so I have a ?

• Thread starter faust9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    autocad
In summary, the Autodesk Mechanical add-on will allow a client with limited software resources to make changes and verify the changes will not interfear with system operation, but it won't do dynamic analysis.
faust9
Any AutoCad users? If so I have a ?

I used UG NX 1.8 and 2.0 mostly but I have to do some work in AutoCad 2005. Basically, I have an 8 bar parallel mechanism and I need to model it at a few points to verify clearances and the like. I'd prefer UG but we can't always do things the easy way now can we.

My qusetion is: Is there a way to produce a linked system in autocad where rotating one part of the system casuses appropriate changes on the other parts? Just wondering otherwise I have to seek another piece of software to help me verify my clearances in addition to drafting it in autocad.

Thanks for any and all help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want... but you can create blocks, using the "Block" command. A block allows you to treat a group of objects as if they were one object. So you can essentially grab the block and rotate it in the desired manner.

Perhaps this is not what you want ?

Gokul43201 said:
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want... but you can create blocks, using the "Block" command. A block allows you to treat a group of objects as if they were one object. So you can essentially grab the block and rotate it in the desired manner.

Perhaps this is not what you want ?

I tihnk he means something more like two "blocks" connected by a gear or gears. Move one and you get a change in the other that is related but not identical.

Plain old AutoCad does not have what you are looking for. The best you could do is what Gokul recommended. You would have to redraw each position individually. There is an AutoCad Mechanical add on made by Autodesk, but I don't think it will do any dynamic analysis. It mostly tries to automate repetitive tasks and has a lot of built in blocks and such. Here is a link to it's site:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4260547

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you want to do? It really doesn't take a 3D modelling software to do a tolerance stack up or interference check. If you want to go into a bit more detail, we can probably do it the old fashioned way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. Your right, I could do it the old fashioned pen and paper way but old fashioned means extra work for me(I already did the FEA and motion/path requirements analysis). I have to physically show the input link orientation with respect to one of the couplers (one of the couplers comes very close to the housing) as well as prove the parallel link remains parallel through the path of travel to a client; additionally, I wanted something that would allow a client with limited software resources to make changes and verify the changes will not interfear with system operation. I know the system works (already did the necessary pen and paper work) but I'd like to show the results in a form my client has access to. I don't think my client has ADAMS or the like so I was hoping AutoCad would have somethink to build simple mechanical systems. It's just such a pain moving the links manually. Again, thanks for the replies.

1. What is AutoCad and what is it used for?

AutoCad is a computer-aided design (CAD) software that is commonly used for creating 2D and 3D designs, drawings, and models. It is widely used in various industries such as architecture, engineering, and construction for creating precise and accurate technical drawings.

2. Is AutoCad difficult to learn?

AutoCad may seem intimidating at first, but with proper training and practice, it can be learned by anyone. There are many online tutorials and resources available to help beginners get started with the software.

3. Can AutoCad be used on any computer?

Yes, AutoCad is a cross-platform software and can be used on both Windows and Mac computers. However, the system requirements may vary depending on the version of AutoCad you are using.

4. Are there any alternatives to AutoCad?

Yes, there are several alternatives to AutoCad such as SolidWorks, SketchUp, and Blender. However, AutoCad remains one of the most widely used and trusted CAD software in the industry.

5. Can AutoCad be used for 3D modeling?

Yes, AutoCad has features that allow users to create 3D models and designs. However, it is not as sophisticated as other 3D modeling software, so it may not be the best choice for complex 3D projects.