Any frequency sweep feature in LTSpice?

In summary: LTSpice by copying the "LTC_Data" directory to a convenient locationIn summary, Alan found that LTSpice is a decent Spice implementation with the capability of simulating LT switching regulators. However, he has complaints about the pan and zoom and lack of common op-amps.
yungman
Hi
I want to find out is there any way to set up frequency sweep in LTSpice and plot the frequency response on a graph? I have look and I cannot find it.

Thanks

Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
yungman,
I use LTSpice from time to time, it has all of the usual spice capabilities including AC analysis.

Click Simulate/Run/AC analysis.

I have attached a screenshot of what mine looks like.

Attachments

• ltspice.png
    ltspice.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 3,096
Your signal generator properties must have a voltage entered for small signal analysis.
Right click on it and look for "AC amplitude" on the right.
It has to be a sinewave, too.

You get to AC analysis (on my copy anyway) by using the "simulate" pulldown then "edit simulation cmd" then "AC analysis".

Click the right scale to turn off phase plotting if it is confusing.

Thanks both of you.

So bottom line is I need to get to "Edit simulation Cmd" and switch to AC analysis instead of Transient analysis.

Also go to the voltage source and set the amplitude on the AC analysis.

Thanks

Alan

Most common practice is to set AC amplitude to 1, this way the response you get at any probed point in the circuit will be your transfer function.

When you set the frequency sweep range, LTSpice does not accept MHz as a unit. (Well it does, but it regards it as milli-hertz.)

So, you need to use E6, (as in 5.5E6 (no space) for 5.5 MHz).

vk6kro said:
When you set the frequency sweep range, LTSpice does not accept MHz as a unit. (Well it does, but it regards it as milli-hertz.)

So, you need to use E6, (as in 5.5E6 (no space) for 5.5 MHz).

Thanks.

This is not LTSpice specific.
Spice uses "meg" as suffix for 10^6, dating back to when Spice was a batch mode fortran program in the 70s.
Spice is case insensitive so the "m" suffix and the "M" suffix are treated the same (and the Hz is ignored, Spice does not expect units), and both are interpreted as 10^-3 (milli).

So if you want 10MHz enter 10meg
if you want 10M ohms enter 10meg
etc.

Thanks. I'll try that.

How do you find LTSpice compares with other Spice versions?

It is a very decent spice implementation, and pretty easy to learn if you are familiar with traditional spice. Its main appeal is its capability of simulating LT switching regulators.

My biggest complain is the pan and zoom. It is hard to control the pan and zoom to get to the right place. I get to spoiled by OrCad schematic and layout that you hit "I" for zoom in and "O" for zoom out. You want to zoom in at one spot, just put the cursor on the spot and hit "I".

Also the models lack to common op-amp like TLO61, OP07, TLO81, LM324 etc.

But it gets the job done. This is the only PSpice I ever learn, so I can't compare with the others.

Here you can find all the additional models
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/

http://valvolodin.narod.ru/soft/extra.rar
http://forest22.homeip.net/Electronics/index.html

Unpack the archive "extra.rar", using the archive RAR
Copy "extra1.rar" which is installed in the directories are LTspiceIV. Typically, this directory is "C: \ Program Files \ LTC"
Unzip "extra1.rar" which is installed in the directories are LTspiceIV
Finish

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a frequency sweep feature in LTSpice?

A frequency sweep feature in LTSpice allows users to vary the frequency of a signal over a specific range and observe the corresponding changes in the circuit's response. This is useful for analyzing the frequency-dependent behavior of a circuit.

2. How do I perform a frequency sweep in LTSpice?

To perform a frequency sweep in LTSpice, you can use the ".ac" command in the schematic editor. This command allows you to specify the start and end frequencies, as well as the number of points to sweep. You can also use the "AC Analysis" tool in the toolbar to set up and run a frequency sweep.

3. Can I plot multiple frequency sweeps in LTSpice?

Yes, you can plot multiple frequency sweeps in LTSpice by using the "AC Analysis" tool and selecting the "Add trace" option. This will add a new plot window for each additional sweep. You can also use the ".step" command in the schematic editor to sweep a parameter while performing a frequency sweep.

4. What types of frequency sweeps can I perform in LTSpice?

LTSpice allows users to perform three types of frequency sweeps: linear, logarithmic, and octave. A linear sweep increases the frequency by a constant amount at each point, while a logarithmic sweep increases the frequency by a constant ratio. An octave sweep doubles the frequency at each point. Users can choose the type of sweep that best suits their needs.

5. Can I export the results of a frequency sweep in LTSpice?

Yes, LTSpice allows users to export the results of a frequency sweep in various formats, such as CSV, MATLAB, or Touchstone. This is useful for further analysis and comparison with other simulation tools. To export the results, go to the "File" menu and select "Export" then choose the desired format.