Any tips about how I would go about building this simulation/model?

In summary: Additionally, if you're trying to simulate a real world situation, then you will need to account for the physical limitations that the simulation will only approximate.In summary, you are trying to simulate network traffic with a noise model and encoding/decoding behaviour under certain parameters. This would help if you clarified the kind of information you are looking for. Additionally, if you are trying to simulate a real world situation, then you will need to account for the physical limitations that the simulation will only approximate.
EntropicLove
Any tips about how I would go about building this simulation/model?

I'm interesting in building for my portfolio a full simulation of large-scale networks under various circumstances measuring efficiency/optimization using different parameters and algorithms.

I current have a large business that is willing to let me model but I don't exactly know step by step how to go about this lol. I have several wiley books about simulation and I only know the basics (I'm studying applied math) but this is beyond me pretty much; however, I'm very passionate/dedicated to doing this.

Anyone have any wisdom, intuition or vague idea of how I can go about this? Or point somewhere else? I would love to hear from anyone (especially possibly Chiro :) pretty familiar with IT/coding/project-management etc etc in general...

Should I be looking for simulation software or should I build this from the ground up using c++? Is this the right forum to ask about this specialized project?

Thank you for your time...

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

EntropicLove said:
I'm interesting in building for my portfolio a full simulation of large-scale networks under various circumstances measuring efficiency/optimization using different parameters and algorithms.

I current have a large business that is willing to let me model but I don't exactly know step by step how to go about this lol. I have several wiley books about simulation and I only know the basics (I'm studying applied math) but this is beyond me pretty much; however, I'm very passionate/dedicated to doing this.

Anyone have any wisdom, intuition or vague idea of how I can go about this? I would love to hear from anyone (possibly Chiro :) pretty familiar with IT/coding/project-management etc etc in general...

Should I be looking for simulation software or should I build this from the ground up using c++? Is this the right forum to ask about this specialized project?

Thank you for your time...

Hey EntropicLove.

Are you trying to simulate the situation of data throughput through a network much like you would have in a distributed system? Is it perhaps something like a telecommunications network where you wish to simulate network traffic with a noise model and encoding/decoding behaviour under certain parameters?

It would help if you clarify this kind of information since each domain will have specific issues with regard to not only the software design, but the configuration front-end that you use to program it and pass data (if need be) to it as well.

1. How do I determine the variables and parameters to include in my simulation/model?

The first step in building a simulation/model is to clearly define the purpose and scope of your project. This will help you determine which variables and parameters are relevant to your study. You can also consult with subject matter experts or review existing literature to identify important factors to include in your simulation/model.

2. What are the best software/tools to use for building a simulation/model?

The choice of software and tools will depend on the type and complexity of your simulation/model. Some commonly used tools for building simulations/models include MATLAB, Python, and Simulink. It is important to choose a tool that is suitable for your specific project and to have a good understanding of its capabilities.

3. How can I validate the accuracy of my simulation/model?

Validation is a critical step in the development of a simulation/model. It involves comparing the results of the simulation/model with real-world data or experimental results. This can be done by conducting sensitivity analyses, performing statistical tests, or consulting with other experts in the field.

4. How do I incorporate uncertainty and variability into my simulation/model?

Uncertainty and variability are inherent in any simulation/model due to the complexity of real-world systems. One way to incorporate them is by using probabilistic models and running multiple simulations with different input values. Sensitivity analyses can also help identify the impact of uncertainties on the results of your simulation/model.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to keep in mind when building a simulation/model?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to consider when building a simulation/model. These may include potential harm to individuals or the environment, the use of sensitive or confidential data, and the potential impact of the results on society. It is important to address these considerations and follow ethical guidelines in your research.