Anyone get interviewed by google?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary: Thanks!In summary, Cory's friend who works at Google said that they are very selective, and that they value critical thinking skills and puzzles. Additionally, he said that you'll love it if you get in. Cory is currently with IBM but is finding fast that IBM isn't all what its said to be with benefits as a full time employee, they actually stop giving yearly raises! So, he's going to look into other company's like google.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

I was going to apply to google (in a Intern Software Engineering position) and I was just wondering if anyone knew what types of questions they experienced in person or over the phone interviews.

Thanks!

-Cory

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a friend who works at Google...unfortunately, I haven't talked to him in a while. I know they're very selective, and that they value critical thinking skills and puzzles.

Good luck! Google is one of the most desirable places to work. You'll love it if you get in.

So I heard!

I'm currently with IBM but am finding fast that IBM isn't all what its said to be with benefits as a full time employee, they actually stop giving yearly raises!

So I'm going to look into other company's like google, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone.

I was going to apply to google (in a Intern Software Engineering position) and I was just wondering if anyone knew what types of questions they experienced in person or over the phone interviews.

Thanks!

-Cory

Wow. If they like you, you're hot.

Here's something to consider: if they give you a test, think outside of "thinking outside the box". I was tested at one place, but they weren't interested in my answers, or even how I approached the answers; they were interested in how I approached the test.

Wow, I guess they really do like creative thinkers! thanks for the tip.

DaveC426913 said:
Here's something to consider: if they give you a test, think outside of "thinking outside the box". I was tested at one place, but they weren't interested in my answers, or even how I approached the answers; they were interested in how I approached the test.

And for good reason. How you solve a specific problem is not really very important. A whole lot of people can solve problems. It's your attitude towards solving problems that sets you apart...whether you approach it with an excited, inquisitive eye speaks volumes about how you are likely to approach challenges at work.

Ben Niehoff said:
And for good reason. How you solve a specific problem is not really very important. A whole lot of people can solve problems. It's your attitude towards solving problems that sets you apart...whether you approach it with an excited, inquisitive eye speaks volumes about how you are likely to approach challenges at work.
Or with an eye to one of the most important skills of a developer: prioritizing.

My brother applied to sales recently. He said the one weird question they asked him was "what kinds of questions do you hate hearing in interviews?"

I don't know if they'd ask you the same stuff in software engineering, but given what others said, you'll probably see the second order, think outside thinking outside the box stuff everywhere.

yikes!

Related to Anyone get interviewed by google?

1. What is the interview process like at Google?

The interview process at Google typically consists of multiple rounds, including phone interviews and in-person interviews. Each round may focus on different aspects such as technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and cultural fit. The overall process can take several weeks to complete.

2. How can I prepare for a Google interview?

To prepare for a Google interview, it is important to review and sharpen your technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and communication skills. Familiarize yourself with Google's products and services, and practice answering technical questions and coding challenges. It can also be helpful to research the company's culture and values.

3. What are some common interview questions asked at Google?

Some common interview questions at Google may include technical questions related to coding, algorithms, and data structures. Other questions may focus on problem-solving abilities and how you approach and solve challenges. The company also values behavioral and cultural fit, so you may also be asked about your experience and interests outside of work.

4. How long does it take to hear back from Google after an interview?

The amount of time it takes to hear back from Google after an interview can vary. In some cases, you may receive a response within a few days, while in others, it may take several weeks. If you haven't heard back within a reasonable amount of time, it is appropriate to follow up with the company.

5. What qualities does Google look for in a candidate during an interview?

Google looks for a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and cultural fit in a candidate during an interview. The company values individuals who are passionate, curious, and have a strong desire to learn and grow. They also prioritize candidates who can work well in a team and have a positive attitude.