Apostol Calulus Voume1 I 2.4 question 9

• Thread starter Physics2341313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apostol
In summary, the question asks to compute the area of the region S between the graphs of f(x)=x^2 and g(x)=x+1 over the interval [-1, (1+√5)/2]. A sketch of the two graphs should be made and the region S should be shaded. The solution to this problem may have messy intersection points, but it is unclear without seeing the work.
Physics2341313
1. Compute the area of the region S between the graphs of f and g over the interal [a,b] specified in each case Make a sketch of the two graphs and indicate S by shading.

Question 9 -F(x)=x^2 g(x)=x+1,a =-1, b = (1+√5)/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think Ihave the solution,it's just that the intersection points are a bit messy. Is it supposed to be this way or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics2341313 said:
1. Compute the area of the region S between the graphs of f and g over the interal [a,b] specified in each case Make a sketch of the two graphs and indicate S by shading.

Question 9 -F(x)=x^2 g(x)=x+1,a =-1, b = (1+√5)/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think Ihave the solution,it's just that the intersection points are a bit messy. Is it supposed to be this way or am I missing something?

What do you mean when you say "...the intersection points are a bit messy"? Messy how? Anyway, since we cannot see what you did, how are we supposed to answer?

1. What is Apostol Calculus Volume 1?

Apostol Calculus Volume 1 is a textbook written by Tom M. Apostol that covers the basic principles and techniques of single-variable calculus. It is commonly used in university-level calculus courses.

2. What is the significance of 2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1?

2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1 is a specific problem in the section on limits and continuity. It is often used as an exercise to test students' understanding of the concepts and techniques presented in the book.

3. How can I approach solving 2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1?

To solve 2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1, you can follow the steps outlined in the textbook for solving limits and continuity problems. This may include identifying the type of limit, applying appropriate properties or theorems, and evaluating the limit using algebra or calculus techniques.

4. Can you provide an example of 2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1?

Yes, an example of 2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1 could be: Find the limit as x approaches 3 of (x^2 - 9)/(x-3). This requires using the limit definition and factoring the numerator to simplify the expression.

5. How can I use 2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1 to improve my understanding of calculus?

2.4 question 9 in Apostol Calculus Volume 1 is just one of many problems in the textbook that can help you practice and apply the concepts and techniques of calculus. By solving this and other problems, you can strengthen your understanding of calculus and prepare for exams or real-world applications.