Apostol & floor function problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Apostol's Calculus text (vol. 1) regarding a change of index in summation. The equation \sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{na}{b}] = \sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{a(b-n)}{b}] is mentioned and it is noted that it is equivalent to using Gauss's sum in reverse order. However, it is pointed out that this equality only holds if certain conditions are met.
HamishMc
Hi,

I'm working through some questions in Apostol's Calculus text (vol. 1). The problem is with ex. 7 on p.64. Here, he states that

"by changing the index of summation, note that

[tex]\sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{na}{b}] = \sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{a(b-n)}{b}][\tex] "

I'm comfortable with the solution from this point on. I just don't see how these two are equivalent.

Any help would be appreciated!

p.s. Sorry about the LaTeX not displaying properly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HamishMc said:
Hi,

I'm working through some questions in Apostol's Calculus text (vol. 1). The problem is with ex. 7 on p.64. Here, he states that

"by changing the index of summation, note that

[tex]\sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{na}{b}] = \sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{a(b-n)}{b}][/tex] "

I'm comfortable with the solution from this point on. I just don't see how these two are equivalent.

Any help would be appreciated!

p.s. Sorry about the LaTeX not displaying properly.

Are there any specific conditions on a,b and n?

(I can't see the answer to your question; just thought I'd get the LaTex working for you!)

It works if you make the change of index n=b-m. Then,

[tex]\sum_{n=a}^{b-1} [\frac{na}{b}] = \sum_{m=b-a}^{1} [\frac{a(b-m)}{b}][/tex]

You can use Gauss's sum [itex]\sum_i^n i=n(n+1)/2[/itex] to show that the equality you wrote is not true unless a=1 or a=b.

Last edited:
You're just doing the sum in reverse order.

cristo said:
Are there any specific conditions on a,b and n?

Thanks for the responses. The conditions are that a and b are positive integers, and that they are coprime. Sorry for not stating that at the outset.

Related to Apostol & floor function problem

1. What is the Apostol & floor function problem?

The Apostol & floor function problem is a mathematical problem posed by Tom Apostol in 1957. It involves finding the sum of the floor function of a number and its square root. In other words, the problem can be stated as finding the value of n + ⌊√n⌋ for a given positive integer n.

2. Why is the Apostol & floor function problem significant?

The Apostol & floor function problem is significant because it is a challenging mathematical problem that has not yet been solved for all values of n. It also has applications in number theory and computer science.

3. Has the Apostol & floor function problem been solved?

No, the Apostol & floor function problem has not been solved for all values of n. However, some progress has been made in finding solutions for specific values of n, such as n = 3 and n = 4.

4. What techniques have been used to solve the Apostol & floor function problem?

Various techniques have been used to solve the Apostol & floor function problem, including number theory, combinatorics, and computer algorithms. Some mathematicians have also used creative approaches, such as geometric interpretations and modular arithmetic.

5. What is the current status of the Apostol & floor function problem?

The Apostol & floor function problem is still an open problem in mathematics. While there have been some advancements in finding solutions for specific values of n, the problem remains unsolved in general. It continues to be an active area of research for mathematicians around the world.