Apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about a forum member seeking advice on how to transition into the field of electronics, as they come from a different background. They have been studying basic physics and have some knowledge of electricity, but are looking for guidance on where to start and what resources to use. They also ask about the use of mathematics in electronics and mention their plans to join an evening college for further studies. The expert recommends starting with a basic understanding of circuits and components, using resources like beginner guides and the book "Practical Electronics for Inventors." They also suggest seeking help from experts and not being afraid to ask questions.
adventjohn
I come from totally different field. studied previously business management but I was always fascinated by technologies.

I find it really difficult to keep up with all the new terms and mathematical equations to follow up. I have to look after each words in every paragraphs. I have searched for some good beginner guides but it's confusing since i don't know with what to begin.

I have been reading physicsclassroom.com basics about the lights,waves and wavelengths. I did last year industrial electrical maintenance intensive training through the government organization. It was not in my native language and it was mostly self studies. So far I'm familiair with basic of the electrics. Thanks to it I got a good opportunity in a company as apprentice.

Now I am learning about the equipment that are more into fiber optics and test and measurements.
I would like to get some good advies as from where to begin and any good books to read. i would also like to know which field of mathematics is more in use for electronics. I'm planning to join evening college to study electronics next year.

I would appreciate any advies and thank you your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It's great to hear that you have a strong interest in technology and have already taken steps to learn about it through your previous studies and training. I can understand the challenges of trying to keep up with new terms and mathematical equations in a different field. However, with dedication and the right resources, I believe you can successfully transition into the world of electronics.

Firstly, I would recommend starting with a basic understanding of electricity and circuits. This will provide a foundation for understanding more advanced concepts in electronics. You can find many beginner guides and online resources that cover these topics in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

Next, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the different components and equipment used in electronics, such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, and fiber optics. Understanding how these components work and interact with each other is crucial in electronics.

In terms of mathematics, algebra and trigonometry are commonly used in electronics. It would also be helpful to have a basic understanding of calculus for more advanced topics. However, I would recommend focusing on the fundamentals of electronics first before delving into the mathematics.

As for books, I would suggest starting with "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk. It covers the basics of electronics and is a great resource for beginners. Additionally, joining evening college to study electronics is a great idea, as it will provide you with a structured learning environment and access to experienced instructors.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from experts in the field. Online forums and communities, such as this one, are great places to connect with others and get advice and recommendations.

I wish you all the best in your journey to learn about electronics. With dedication and hard work, I have no doubt that you will succeed. Keep learning and never stop asking questions. Good luck!

1. What is an apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment?

An apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment is a person who is learning the skills and techniques necessary to work with fiberoptic cables and test and measurement devices used in the telecommunications industry.

2. What does an apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment do?

An apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment assists experienced technicians with tasks such as installing, splicing, and testing fiberoptic cables, as well as setting up and using various test and measurement equipment to ensure proper functioning of the cables and networks.

3. What qualifications are needed to become an apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment?

Typically, a high school diploma or equivalent is required to become an apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment. Strong math and technical skills, as well as the ability to work with small and delicate equipment, are also important.

4. How long does an apprenticeship in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment typically last?

The length of an apprenticeship can vary, but it typically lasts between 2-4 years. During this time, apprentices are trained on-the-job and may also attend classes or workshops to further develop their skills.

5. What are the career opportunities for an apprentice in fiberoptics and test and measurement equipment?

After completing their apprenticeship, individuals can pursue a career as a fiberoptic technician, test and measurement technician, or other related positions in the telecommunications industry. With additional training and experience, they may also have opportunities for advancement to higher positions.