Aqueous Solution vs Liquid Solution

In summary, "aqueous solution HCL" implies that the solvent is water and the solute is HCL. A liquid solution uses a liquid other than water as the solvent. Dissolving means mixing a solid with a liquid to create a single homogeneous phase. Examples of liquids that can dissolve substances include ethanol, acetone, benzene, and water. Aqueous solutions use water as a solvent, while liquid solutions can use other liquids like benzene or ether. In terms of states of matter, water can exist as a liquid, solid, or gas, while hydrogen chloride typically exists as a gas but can be turned into a liquid at very low temperatures.
navneet9431
What is the difference between aqueous solution and liquid solution?

Note:I am a high school student and English is my second language.
Thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Imagine dissolving something in ethanol. Or acetone. Or benzene. Or any other organic compound that happens to be liquid at RTP.

Borek said:
Imagine dissolving something in ethanol. Or acetone. Or benzene. Or any other organic compound that happens to be liquid at RTP.
I think i was not able to clearly state my question. So,i am going to restate my question again more clearly.
We say that H2O is liquid and HCL is an aqueous solution.
So,my question is, what is the difference between a liquid(here,H20) and an aqueous solution(here,HCL) ?

Thanks!

'aqueous solution HCL' implies that the solvent is water, and solute (stuff dissolved in liquid water) is HCL.

Liquid is a state of matter. Water exists on Earth as a liquid, as solid (ice), and a gas (water vapor). So does ethanol (alcohol). Steel from a blast furnace is a liquid, at room temperature a solid. So water, steel, alcohol can all exist as a liquid.

At standard temperature and pressure, hydrogen chloride is a colorless gas. However, typically we encounter HCl dissolved in water as hydrochloric acid (aqueous hydrogen chloride). If one were to take a vial of pure hydrogen chloride gas and cool it to below the boiling point of HCl (–85°C), one would obtain liquid HCl.

Borek said:
What actually does "dissolve" mean here?

Hello dear! It is a simple concept.
The word "aqua" refers to water.So aqueous solution means a solution which has water as solvent.

Liquid solution means a solution which uses a liquid other than water as solvent.

Solvent is nothing other than a substance which is more in the solution or it is a phase in which we dissolve or add substance (solute).

Likes symbolipoint and navneet9431
In aqueous solution always water is the solvent
And in liquid solution Benzene ,ether and so on can taken as solvent.
(Pics source: Google)
unnamed.jpg
images (8).jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,962
  • images (8).jpg
    images (8).jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,838
navneet9431 said:

Exactly the same it means when we talk about dissolution in water, not sure what your question/confusion is.

navneet9431 said:

Maybe you do not have a school laboratory where people get familiarised with the substances that have been mentioned.
But “Dissolved” is e.g. what happens to ordinary salt salt when you mix it with water. You get a solution; It even looks like water but it is not pure water any more. You can boil the water off, and you recover the salt.

Also many gasses dissolve in water. The most familiar example is carbon dioxide – 1ML of this gas (which is not very much of the substance) dissolves in one ml of water,So most water around has this carbon dioxide dissolved in it. But you can make more carbon dioxide dissolve if you put it in contact with water at high pressure. That is what you have in fizzy drinks. When you open the sealed bottle and release pressure you see the bubbles of carbon dioxide come out. Hydrogen chloride which has been mentioned is much more soluble than that in water, and there are some dramatic demonstrations if you are lucky enough to be shown one in a school laboratory.

Last edited:
Water is a liquid.

HCl in solution is a liquid; you probably mean HCl dissolved in water. This is both a liquid and an aqueous solution.

epenguin said:
But “Dissolved” is what happens to ordinary salt salt when you mix it with water.

I suspect this line of thinking is exactly what was confusing to the OP and lead to the question about dissolution. No, "dissolved" is not what happens when you mix salt with water, it is what happens when you mix a solid with a liquid. Salt and water are good examples, but the process is not limited to them.

Borek said:
I suspect this line of thinking is exactly what was confusing to the OP and lead to the question about dissolution. No, "dissolved" is not what happens when you mix salt with water, it is what happens when you mix a solid with a liquid. Salt and water are good examples, but the process is not limited to them.

Yes it is just an example, an example I made just because the poster must be familiar with it, and possibly not with some of the other examples mentioned. I have now inserted “e.g.” into the phrase.

Borek said:
No, "dissolved" is not what happens when you mix salt with water, it is what happens when you mix a solid with a liquid.

I'm afraid the original statement was correct (yes, salt will be dissolved when mixed with water) and your correction is wrong. Mixing a solid with a liquid is neither sufficient (e.g. diamond in water) nor required (e.g. gaseous HCl in water). "Dissolved" simply means that the resulting mixture is a single homogeneous phase.

DrStupid said:
I'm afraid the original statement was correct (yes, salt will be dissolved when mixed with water) and your correction is wrong. Mixing a solid with a liquid is neither sufficient (e.g. diamond in water) nor required (e.g. gaseous HCl in water).

Well, perhaps what I wrote wasn't clear enough in terms of all ifs and whens, but the problem here is that the original statement seems to be excluding things like dissolution of glucose in ethanol (or, at least: that's how it was probably understood by the OP). As such it can be confusing and misguiding.

"Dissolved" simply means that the resulting mixture is a single homogeneous phase.

Yes, that clarifies the thing, but the original statement didn't contain that part (homogeneity) either.

Besides, AgCl is a salt and it doesn't dissolve :wink:

DrStupid said:
I'm afraid the original statement was correct (yes, salt will be dissolved when mixed with water) and your correction is wrong. Mixing a solid with a liquid is neither sufficient (e.g. diamond in water) nor required (e.g. gaseous HCl in water). "Dissolved" simply means that the resulting mixture is a single homogeneous phase.
Avoid too much fuss about language lapses. Distinguish between soluble and insoluble is now noted.

Borek said:
Besides, AgCl is a salt and it doesn't dissolve :wink:

It does, but not very well :)

DrStupid said:
It does, but not very well :)

Much better than a diamond, sure.

Related to Aqueous Solution vs Liquid Solution

What is the difference between an aqueous solution and a liquid solution?

An aqueous solution is a type of liquid solution in which water is the solvent. A liquid solution, on the other hand, can refer to any type of solution where a substance is dissolved in a liquid, not necessarily water.

Why is water commonly used as the solvent in aqueous solutions?

Water is a highly polar molecule, meaning it has a slight positive and negative charge on opposite ends. This makes it an excellent solvent for ionic compounds and other polar substances. Additionally, water is abundant and easily accessible, making it a convenient choice for aqueous solutions.

Can non-polar substances be dissolved in aqueous solutions?

No, non-polar substances cannot dissolve in aqueous solutions because they are not attracted to the polar water molecules. Instead, they require non-polar solvents such as oil or hexane to dissolve.

How are concentrations expressed in aqueous solutions?

Concentrations in aqueous solutions are typically expressed in terms of molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution) or molality (moles of solute per kilogram of solvent). Other common units include percent by mass or volume, parts per million (ppm), and parts per billion (ppb).

What factors can affect the solubility of a substance in an aqueous solution?

The solubility of a substance in an aqueous solution can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. In general, as temperature increases, the solubility of solids in water also increases, while the solubility of gases decreases. Pressure can also affect the solubility of gases in water. Additionally, the polarity and molecular structure of the solute and solvent can impact their ability to dissolve in each other.