Arclength in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving arclength and finding the arclength for r=2-2sinx. One person suggests factoring out the 8 and taking it outside the integral sign, while another person integrates 8-8sinx dx and gets 8cosx+8x+C. The person apologizes for not realizing it was the square root of that and thanks the other person for catching that mistake.
nate808
I am working on a problem regarding arclength-which asks to find the arclength for r=2-2sinx (x=theta) I worked out the integral to the integral of the square root of 8-8sinx but i didnt know how to integrate from there--any help?

Thanks
-nate808

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not 100% sure, but can't you factor out the 8 and then take that outside the integral sign which would leave you with the integral of 1-sinx dx?, or 8(integral of (1-sinx)dx).

Last edited:
prace said:
I am not 100% sure, but can't you factor out the 8 and then take that outside the integral sign which would leave you with the integral of 1-sinx dx?, or 8(integral of (1-sinx)dx).

I don't think this will produce anything productive. Judging by the answer my 89 spewed out, it's a difficult substitution and/or trig identity problem. Wish I could help!

Well, I integrated 8-8sinx dx and got 8cosx+8x+C. I failed to see that it was the square root of that. Sorry about that and thanks for catching that vsage.

What is arclength in polar coordinates?

Arclength in polar coordinates is a measure of the distance along a curve in polar coordinates. It is similar to the concept of arclength in Cartesian coordinates, but takes into account the unique polar coordinate system.

How is arclength calculated in polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating arclength in polar coordinates is ∫√(r² + (dr/dθ)²)dθ, where r is the radius and dr/dθ is the derivative of r with respect to θ.

What is the difference between arclength in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference is the coordinate system used. In polar coordinates, the distance is measured from the origin along a curved line, whereas in Cartesian coordinates, it is measured along a straight line.

What is the importance of arclength in polar coordinates?

Arclength in polar coordinates is important in many applications of polar coordinates, such as in physics, engineering, and architecture. It allows for accurate measurement and calculation of distances in curved paths.

How is arclength used in real-world scenarios?

Arclength in polar coordinates is used in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as determining the length of a curved road or track, calculating the distance traveled by a planet in its orbit, and finding the length of a coastline. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and navigation systems.