Arclength Math Question: Find a Closed Form Expression for x(t) and y(t)

• Thread starter foxjwill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arclength
In summary: Thanks for the help.Yes, that is a possible solution. Actually, any function that has the same derivative as sin(t) with respect to t (like x(t)= cos(t)+ 2, y(t)= sin(t)+ 3, for example) will be a solution. That is, any function of the form[tex]x(t)= \cos(t)+ a, y(t)= \sin(t)+ b[/tex]will be a solution.
foxjwill

Homework Statement

Given [tex]r(t) = x(t)\textbf{i} + y(t)\textbf{j}[/tex] and

[tex]\int_0^t \left\|\frac{dr}{dt}\right\| d\tau = t.[/tex]

find, if possible, a closed form expression for x(t) and y(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by applying the fundamental theorem of calculus

[tex]\left\|\frac{dr}{dt}\right\|=1[/tex]

then evaluated and simplified and got

[tex]x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 = 1.[/tex]

Is it possible to continue from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you getting [itex]x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 = 1[/itex]?

foxjwill said:
I started by applying the fundamental theorem of calculus

[tex]\left\|\frac{dr}{dt}\right\|=1[/tex]
Not sure how you determined this from the fundamental theorem.

[tex]x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 = 1.[/tex] This applies to a unit circle.

Why t in this equation?

The integral should provide length, not time.

Astronuc said:
Not sure how you determined this from the fundamental theorem.

[tex]x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 = 1.[/tex] This applies to a unit circle.

Oops. I meant

[tex]x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 = 1.[/tex]

As to how I got there:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_0^t \left\|\frac{dr}{dt}\right\| d\tau = \frac{dt}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\left\|\frac{dr}{dt}\right\| = 1[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2} = 1[/tex]

Astronuc said:
Why t in this equation?

I'm basically trying to find some vector-valued function r(t) in [tex]\texttt{r}^2[/tex] such that [tex]\forall t, s(t) = t[/tex], where [tex]s(t)[/tex] is arclength.

foxjwill said:
Oops. I meant

That's better. You can play around with this by integrating with respect to t. However, you have two unknowns and one equation. I suspect that, without some additional assumptions, you won't be able to determine x(t) and y(t).

As to how I got there:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_0^t \left\|\frac{dr}{dt}\right\| d\tau = \frac{dt}{dt}[/tex]

Err, why would you do that? Since the integrator is [itex]d\tau[/itex], you can take |dr/dt| out because it doesn't involve [itex]\tau[/itex].

foxjwill said:
I'm basically trying to find some vector-valued function r(t) in [tex]\texttt{r}^2[/tex] such that [tex]\forall t, s(t) = t[/tex], where [tex]s(t)[/tex] is arclength.

This makes no sense to me. Where did s(t) come from? How are you going from a vector-valued function r(t) to a scalar-valued function s(t)?

e(ho0n3 said:
Err, why would you do that? Since the integrator is [itex]d\tau[/itex], you can take |dr/dt| out because it doesn't involve [itex]\tau[/itex].

Again, a mistake. >_<
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_0^t \left\|\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right\| d\tau = \frac{dt}{dt}[/tex]

e(ho0n3 said:
This makes no sense to me. Where did s(t) come from? How are you going from a vector-valued function r(t) to a scalar-valued function s(t)?

[tex]s(t) := \int_0^t \left\|\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right\| d\tau[/tex]

foxjwill said:
Again, a mistake. >_<
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_0^t \left\|\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right\| d\tau = \frac{dt}{dt}[/tex]

I will assume that the derivative inside the integral is [itex]d/d\tau r(\tau)[/itex] for otherwise the integral would evaluate to 0.

The integral pretty ugly. Taking the derivative of the integral with respect to t doesn't help.

Yes, it does. By the fundamental theorem, mentioned before,
[tex]\left|\left|\frac{dr}{dt}\right|\right|= 1[tex]
just as he said before. That gives, just as he said before,
[tex]\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)= 1[/itex].

In fact, that trajectory is the unit circle.

If you bring the d/dt inside the integral and evaluate the inside of the integral before integrating, then since the integrand is with respect to tau, the derivative with respect to t will be 0.

Am I missing something?

e(ho0n3 said:
If you bring the d/dt inside the integral and evaluate the inside of the integral before integrating, then since the integrand is with respect to tau, the derivative with respect to t will be 0.

Am I missing something?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus which says

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(t) dt = f(x)[/tex]

where a is some constant.

[tex]\int_a^x f(t) dt[/tex] is a function of x. In other words, you can't bring the [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] inside the integral because that would be like saying [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left [x^2\right] = \left[\frac{d}{dx}(x)\right]^2,[/tex] which is obviously untrue.

Right. So it does simplify to [itex]x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 = 1[/itex]. Thus, x(t) = cos t and y(t) = sin t is a possible solution right?

1. What is a closed form expression?

A closed form expression is a mathematical expression that can be written using a finite number of standard mathematical operations and functions. It does not involve infinite series or limits, and can be evaluated to a specific numerical value.

2. What is x(t) and y(t) in this context?

x(t) and y(t) represent the parametric equations for a curve in the xy-plane. In this math question, they are used to describe the position of a point on the curve at a given time t.

3. How do you find a closed form expression for x(t) and y(t)?

To find a closed form expression for x(t) and y(t), you can use the given information about the curve, such as its shape, position, and any known equations or relationships. You can also use mathematical techniques, such as integration or substitution, to manipulate the parametric equations and simplify them into a closed form.

4. Why is finding a closed form expression important?

Finding a closed form expression allows us to represent a mathematical entity or relationship in a more concise and general way. It also allows us to easily evaluate the expression and make predictions or calculations based on it.

5. Are there any limitations to using a closed form expression?

While a closed form expression can be useful in many cases, it may not always be possible to find one. Some mathematical entities or relationships may be too complex to be written in a closed form, or they may require infinite series or limits to fully describe them. In these cases, other methods may be used to approximate the expression or analyze the entity.