Arclength of Curve y=2ln(sin(x/2)) | Calculating Arclength Formula

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arclength
In summary, the problem involves finding the length of the curve y=2ln(sin(1/2)x) for values of x between pi/3 and pi. The solution involves using the Pythagorean identities and then making a substitution to simplify the integral. The final answer is -2ln(2+sqrt(3)).
iRaid

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve [itex]y=2ln(sin\frac{1}{2}x)[/itex], [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}\leq x\leq\pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I figured out the derivative of y is cot(1/2)x so I put it into the arclength formula to get:
[tex]\int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\pi} \sqrt{1+{cot^{2}(\frac{x}{2})}}dx[/tex]

But I don't know how to solve that.. Looking at wolfram it seems like a really ugly integral so I don't want to put a lot of effort into solving it if I have the integral wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never forget your Pythagorean identities. Divide [itex] sin^2 \theta +cos^2 \theta = 1 [/itex] through by [itex] sin^2 \theta [/itex] to get [itex] 1+cot^2\theta = csc^2\theta [/itex]. Just let [itex] \theta = \frac{x}{2} [/itex] and the integral simplifies greatly.

HS-Scientist said:
Never forget your Pythagorean identities. Divide [itex] sin^2 \theta +cos^2 \theta = 1 [/itex] through by [itex] sin^2 \theta [/itex] to get [itex] 1+cot^2\theta = csc^2\theta [/itex]. Just let [itex] \theta = \frac{x}{2} [/itex] and the integral simplifies greatly.

Yeah I just kept going and realized that. So I did:
u=x/2 du=1/2 dx
[tex]2\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sqrt{1+cot^{2}u}du=2\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\sqrt{csc^{2}u}du=2ln(cscu+cotu)|_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

Yeah I finished it and evaluated, [itex]-2ln(2+\sqrt{3})[/itex]

Forgot that I knew what the integral of csc was :P. Thanks.

Don't forget to change your bounds after making a substitution.

What is arclength and how is it calculated?

Arclength is the distance along a curve or arc. It is calculated using the formula s = rθ, where s is the arclength, r is the radius of the curve, and θ is the central angle in radians.

What are the differences between arc length and chord length?

Arc length is the distance along the curve, while chord length is the straight distance between two points on the curve. Arc length is typically longer than chord length, except when the curve is a straight line.

Is calculating arclength difficult?

It depends on the complexity of the curve and the method used to calculate it. For simple curves, such as circles or straight lines, it is relatively easy. However, for more complex curves, it can be challenging and require advanced mathematical techniques.

Can arclength be negative?

No, arclength cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance along a curve.

How is arclength used in real life?

Arclength is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in calculating the distance traveled by a particle along a curved path, determining the length of a wire needed for a specific electrical circuit, or measuring the circumference of a circle. It is also used in fields like architecture and design to calculate the length of curved structures.