Arduino Starter Kit Project Ideas

In summary: Arduino timer function that isn't very accurate so it'll need a real time clock module, but one goes in small steps and to learn how to count was my first .2. a simple to use serial monitor that displays text strings using a colon in place of a comma 3. an RGB LED strip controlled from an ArduinoThe projects above are still fun to play with and I think they're a great way to get started with Arduino.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,

I have ordered an arduino atarter kit and plan to explore some programming and electronics.
Do you have any interesting project ideas for me?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It really is, IMO, a great platform, but also quite versatile. What are your interests?... IoT, robotics, data collection, etc...and then what have you done before? Do you know C++ ( it's OK if you do not)

You probably want to start simple. Have you been to the hobby sites ?

Figure out something fun to do with it.
On my other computer i have a program that makes Arduino count in Roman Numerals . Plan is to make a clock. Uses the Arduino timer function that isn't very accurate so it'll need a real time clock module, but one goes in small steps and to learn how to count was my first .
It taught me how to manipulate text strings, and how do integer and modulo functions in order to get hour minute second time of day out of # seconds since midnight.

I think the longest string you have to handle for 24 hour format is 18:38 , MDCCCXXXVIII 12 letters
and if you do seconds too , add XXXVIII that's 19 letters plus a colon
there are 24 character serial displays about. I have some nice big VFD ones but they're bare glass with no interface . Honestly i prefer Basic , but whatever language that Arduino is isn't indecipherable. Their site has examples .

Likes donpacino, ISamson and cnh1995
http://www.microcenter.com/product/476325/ds1302_real_time_clock_module_with_battery_-_2_packHard to beat that one.

Likes ISamson and jim hardy
jim hardy said:
You probably want to start simple. Have you been to the hobby sites ?

Figure out something fun to do with it.
On my other computer i have a program that makes Arduino count in Roman Numerals . Plan is to make a clock. Uses the Arduino timer function that isn't very accurate so it'll need a real time clock module, but one goes in small steps and to learn how to count was my first .
It taught me how to manipulate text strings, and how do integer and modulo functions in order to get hour minute second time of day out of # seconds since midnight.

I think the longest string you have to handle for 24 hour format is 18:38 , MDCCCXXXVIII 12 letters
and if you do seconds too , add XXXVIII that's 19 letters plus a colon
there are 24 character serial displays about. I have some nice big VFD ones but they're bare glass with no interface .Honestly i prefer Basic , but whatever language that Arduino is isn't indecipherable. Their site has examples .

Windadct said:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/476325/ds1302_real_time_clock_module_with_battery_-_2_packHard to beat that one.

Would it be possible to do these with an Arduino UNO, because I have already ordered an Arduino UNO Rev3. Sound like interesting ideas!

Last edited:
Here's a listing in Basic

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/looking-for-an-idea-for-a-new-product.579013/#post-3772540

here's the QBASIC program
I painfully translated it to Arduino language . If my laptop comes back to life (it's got Windows Ten Poisoning) i'll post that too.
You'll want to read about Arduino "strings" , which is text characters instead of numbers.. In Qbasic dollar sign denotes a string
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
' program clock displays time in 24 hr Roman numerals
' press q to exit

';; COMMENT
' set up strings first
'

DATA "","M","MM","MMM","Mv","v","vM","vMM","vMMM","Mx"
DATA "","C","CC","CCC","CD","D","DC","DCC","DCCC","CM"
DATA "","X","XX","XXX","XL","L","LX","LXX","LXXX","XC"
DATA "","I","II","III","IV","V","VI","VII","VIII","IX"
DIM m(10), c(10), x(10), i(10) AS STRING
FOR a = 0 TO 9: READ m$(a): NEXT a
FOR a = 0 TO 9: READ c$(a): NEXT a
FOR a = 0 TO 9: READ x$(a): NEXT a
FOR a = 0 TO 9: READ i$(a): NEXT a
; COMMENT just setting up the Roman Numeral strings for thousands (M) hundreds (C and D) and tens (X and L) and ones (I and V)
'

' COMMENT wait ofr a second to pass by
ON TIMER(1) GOSUB time
'COMMENT then go to subroutine that updates the clock
'
TIMER ON
' and restsrt timer
'
WHILE INKEY$ <> "q"
WEND
END

; COMMENT it will loop forever so INKEY$ detects keyboard Q to stop the program

time: time = TIMER
sec = INT(time) MOD 60
min = INT(time / 60) MOD 60
hr = INT(time / 3600) MOD 60
hr$ = m$(INT(hr / 10)) + c$(hr MOD 10)
min$ = x$(INT(min / 10)) + i$(min MOD 10) + ":"
sec$ = x$(INT(sec / 10)) + i$(sec MOD 10)
'
; COMMENT You know about INT and MOD , yes ? They're not peculiar to any language they're math functions see wikipedia
;

PRINT "Time : "; hr; min; sec, hr$ + min$ + sec$
RETURN:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

old jim :rofl:

Likes ISamson
What comes in the starter kit?
If you bought the kit off a site like adafruit, there might be projects online that are "compatible" with your kit (read you don't need to buy new parts).

That being back when I was learning embedded programming I made the following projects using a starter pack with arduino uno from adafruit.

1. clock (like jim was talking about above, will teach you some programming basics).
2. a timer using a BCDs display (these might have come with your package). This will teach you some basic digital electronics. Make it so when you push a button, your displays count from 00 to 99 (or whatever values you program in.
3. a data-logger with an accelerometer and a gyroscope, and then take it on a roller coaster. I followed an online guide for using arduino to make a datalogger and purchased a shield ($20) with a gyroscope and accelerometer. I then rode on roller coasters and looked at the data afterwards. This got very in depth with programming and circuit designs.

Like others have said, do some basic things, then find something that you think is fun!

Likes jim hardy and ISamson

What is an Arduino Starter Kit?

An Arduino Starter Kit is a kit that includes all the necessary components and instructions for beginners to start learning and creating projects using Arduino boards. It typically includes an Arduino board, various electronic components, and a guidebook with project ideas.

What are some project ideas that can be created with an Arduino Starter Kit?

There are many project ideas that can be created with an Arduino Starter Kit, such as a traffic light, a temperature sensor, a robotic arm, a smart home system, and many more. The possibilities are endless and depend on the components included in the specific kit.

Do I need any prior experience in electronics or coding to use an Arduino Starter Kit?

No, an Arduino Starter Kit is designed for beginners and does not require any prior experience in electronics or coding. The guidebook included in the kit provides step-by-step instructions for each project, making it easy to follow along and learn as you go.

Can I use an Arduino Starter Kit for more advanced projects?

Yes, an Arduino Starter Kit is a great starting point for beginners, but it can also be used for more advanced projects. As you gain more experience and knowledge, you can expand your projects and use the Arduino board as a base for more complex creations.

Are there any online resources or communities for Arduino Starter Kit users?

Yes, there are many online resources and communities for Arduino Starter Kit users, such as forums, blogs, and social media groups. These resources can provide additional project ideas, troubleshooting tips, and a platform to connect with other users and share your creations.