Is dark energy the inflow of a universal black hole?

In summary: I said, nobody has suggested that it could be. The characteristics of dark energy are completely different from the characteristics of outflows from black holes. So there's no reason to think that they could be the same thing, and nobody has suggested that they are.In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of dark energy being associated with white holes, but this is only a theoretical concept and has not been supported by any evidence. The expansion of the universe and the uniformity of dark energy suggest that it is not related to black holes. Further discussion on this topic may not be appropriate according to the PF rules on speculation. Recent studies have found possible evidence of cosmological anisotropy, but this does not support the idea of dark energy
tomwestboro
Articles refer to white holes being associated with dark energy. What if dark energy is a larger version of the following process?

Black holes banish matter into cosmic voids

Some of the matter falling towards the [supermassive black] holes is converted into energy. This energy is delivered to the surrounding gas, and leads to large outflows of matter, which stretch for hundreds of thousands of light years from the black holes, reaching far beyond the extent of their host galaxies.​

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
tomwestboro said:
What if dark energy is a larger version of the following process?
We infer the existence and some properties of dark energy from the expansion of the universe. One of the key properties is that it is uniform everywhere, which something emitted by black holes wouldn't be.

Ibix said:
Welcome to PF.
We infer the existence and some properties of dark energy from the expansion of the universe. One of the key properties is that it is uniform everywhere, which something emitted by black holes wouldn't be.

What if that is incorrect?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background#Low_multipoles_and_other_anomalies

With the increasingly precise data provided by WMAP, there have been a number of claims that the CMB exhibits anomalies, such as very large scale anisotropies, anomalous alignments, and non-Gaussian distributions.​

tomwestboro said:
Articles refer to white holes being associated with dark energy.
Where are you getting this from? I didn't see anything in the article which suggests anything of the sort.

Likes Ibix
tomwestboro said:
What if that is incorrect?
The rest of the paragraph you quoted from says that current observational evidence for any deviation from existing theory is very weak - and the chief scientist at WMAP suspects it's most likely wishful thinking (evidence of failed predictions would be wonderful - then we would have some evidence we could use to crack on with theory development). So at the moment our answer to "what if it is incorrect" is "it isn't incorrect".

Before you go further with this topic you may wish to review the PF rules on speculation. Unless there is a reputable source supporting the assertion that dark energy has anything to do with black holes, the topic is not appropriate for discussion here.

vela said:
Where are you getting this from? I didn't see anything in the article which suggests anything of the sort.

https://phys.org/news/2015-10-white-holes.html

Another interesting idea put forth by physicists, is that a white hole might explain the Big Bang, since this is another situation where a tremendous amount of matter and energy spontaneously appeared.​

That says the Big Bang, not dark energy. It also says at the end:
In all likelihood, white holes are just fancy math. And since fancy math rarely survives contact with reality, white holes are probably just imaginary.​
And it says similar in two other places that I noted on a quick skim.

Ibix said:
The rest of the paragraph you quoted from says that current observational evidence for any deviation from existing theory is very weak - and the chief scientist at WMAP suspects it's most likely wishful thinking (evidence of failed predictions would be wonderful - then we would have some evidence we could use to crack on with theory development). So at the moment our answer to "what if it is incorrect" is "it isn't incorrect".

Before you go further with this topic you may wish to review the PF rules on speculation. Unless there is a reputable source supporting the assertion that dark energy has anything to do with black holes, the topic is not appropriate for discussion here.

'New evidence for a preferred direction in spacetime challenges the cosmological principle'
https://phys.org/news/2011-09-evidence-spacetime-cosmological-principle.html

But a few recent studies have found the possible existence of cosmological anisotropy: specifically, that the universe’s expansion is accelerating at a faster rate in one direction than another. In the most recent study, scientists have analyzed data from 557 Type 1a supernovae and found, in agreement with some previous studies, that the universe’s expansion seems to be accelerating faster in the direction of a small part of the northern galactic hemisphere.​

Ibix said:
That says the Big Bang, not dark energy. It also says at the end:
In all likelihood, white holes are just fancy math. And since fancy math rarely survives contact with reality, white holes are probably just imaginary.​
And it says similar in two other places that I noted on a quick skim.

I never said I agreed with the notion of white holes. I think what is mistaken for a white hole is the outflow associated with a black hole. I'm then asking if the outflow of a Universal black hole could be dark energy.

Last edited:
tomwestboro said:
I think what is mistaken for a white hole

Nobody has ever claimed that anything actually observed in the universe was a white hole, so nothing has ever been "mistaken" for a white hole. White holes, as the phys.org article you linked to says, are "fantasy"; they are mathematical objects that nobody thinks actually exist.

tomwestboro said:
I'm then asking if the outflow of a Universal black hole could be dark energy.

And the answer is no, it can't. The entire universe is not a black hole, and the black hole "outflow" described in the links you gave does not have the properties of dark energy anyway (it's just ordinary matter and radiation).

Also, none of the sources you linked to are valid sources. You need to look at actual textbooks and peer-reviewed papers.

Since no valid references have been given and the premise of the OP question is mistaken, this thread is closed.

Likes Ibix

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How is dark energy related to a universal black hole?

The theory that dark energy is the inflow of a universal black hole suggests that the constant expansion of the universe is due to the gravitational pull of a massive black hole at its center. As matter is pulled into the black hole, it creates dark energy which pushes the galaxies apart.

3. Is there evidence to support the theory of dark energy being the inflow of a universal black hole?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence to support this theory. It is still a highly debated and speculative concept in the scientific community. More research and observations are needed to determine the validity of this theory.

4. How does this theory impact our understanding of the universe?

If proven to be true, the theory of dark energy being the inflow of a universal black hole would greatly impact our understanding of the universe. It would change the way we view the expansion of the universe and the role of black holes in its formation and evolution.

5. What are some alternative theories to explain dark energy?

There are several alternative theories to explain dark energy, such as the cosmological constant, quintessence, and modified gravity theories. Each of these theories offers a different explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe and the nature of dark energy.