Area of a Circle in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area of a segment of a circle using the polar equation of a circle and integrating to find the area of a curve. The person is unsure about their approach and asks for help in finding a general equation to use in Excel. Suggestions are made to simplify the problem by defining a new coordinate system, but it is noted that this may not completely solve the issue. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a trapezoid-rule like algorithm to approximate the integral and a reminder to be careful about quadrants when making the change of variables.
dluu
Hi,

I'm trying to find the area of a segment of a circle that is not at the origin. It will look similar to this picture below but I need to find the area enclosed by a circle.

image001.gif

Using the polar equation of a circle provided by wikipedia:

d52097e7e82669349c8da7c64617c8f5.png

and integrating to find the area of a curve:

eq0001MP.gif

Resulting in:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg145/scaled.php?server=145&filename=equation.png&res=landing

Am I on the right track or is there a more simple way? I'm not sure how to integrate this kind of function. I tried and got so lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I went the wrong way with this problem.

Here is a better picture:
hWJHV.png

I am trying to find find a general equation to plug into Excel. Depending on location of the circle, radius, and limits of integration, will give a value of the area.

I'm not sure using the polar equation of a circle in the original post is the best way to go at this. Will using the cartesian form of a circle (x-h)^2 - (y-k)^2 = r^2 and converting to polar form work? I tried to do this which gave a huge equation to integrate. I worked it out but when I tried to prove the equation, it failed. Can anyone help?

I think the simplest way to do this is to define a new coordinate system with the origin at the center of your circle. That way the equation of the circle is just r=R where R is the radius of the circle.

lugita15 said:
I think the simplest way to do this is to define a new coordinate system with the origin at the center of your circle. That way the equation of the circle is just r=R where R is the radius of the circle.

I don't think this will simplify the problem. The region of the circle that the OP wants to integrate over is not at all simple when the circle is at the origin. It looks like you would have to introduce a radial integration in addition to an angular integration in order to get the desired wedge of the circle, and at least one set of limits would be complicated.

To the OP: I'm not sure if that expression can be completely written down in a closed form, but you can at least write down pieces of it in a closed from and then you may have to write some routine to approximately compute the integrals you can't evaluate in closed form.

You can write ##\cos^2(\theta-\phi) - \sin^2(\theta-\phi) = \cos(2(\theta-\phi))##, which you can integrate, and then you have some constant terms which are easy to integrate, so it looks like it's the

$$\cos(\theta-\phi)\sqrt{R^2-r_0^2\sin^2(\theta-\phi)}$$

term that you may have to evaluate separately, perhaps using a trapezoid-rule like algorithm to approximate the integral numerically for specified parameters.

Edit: Actually, you can do that integral too, although it can get tricky because you have to be careful about quadrants. Basically, you can let ##x = \sin(\theta-\phi)##, in which case ##dx = cos(\theta-\phi)d\theta##, but if your limits are chosen such that ##\sin(\theta-\phi)## is not monotonic over the integration region, you have to split the integral up into separate pieces on which ##\sin(\theta-\phi)## is monotonic before you can make that change of variables.

Last edited:

What is the formula for finding the area of a circle in polar coordinates?

The formula for finding the area of a circle in polar coordinates is A = (1/2)r^2θ, where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle in radians.

How is the area of a circle in polar coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

The area of a circle in polar coordinates is calculated using a different formula and involves the use of polar coordinates (r and θ) instead of Cartesian coordinates (x and y).

Can the area of a circle in polar coordinates be negative?

No, the area of a circle in polar coordinates cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space within the circle and must always be a positive value.

Is it possible to find the area of a partial circle in polar coordinates?

Yes, it is possible to find the area of a partial circle in polar coordinates by using the formula A = (1/2)r^2θ, where θ is the central angle in radians and r is the radius of the circle.

How is the area of a circle in polar coordinates used in real-world applications?

The area of a circle in polar coordinates is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and cartography to calculate the area of circular objects or regions on a polar coordinate system.