Simplifying the Argument of a Complex Number

In summary: Remember that standard arguments, at least in my experience, have a " scope" of $$2\pi$$, so that, if, e.g., arg(z)=$$\pi$$, then arg##z^4 \neq 4\pi##You are correct.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
arg (ab) = arg (a) + arg (b)

arg(a/b) = arg (a) - arg (b)
1654659564636.png

Let z = x + iy

$$\arg \left(\frac{1+z^2}{1 + \bar z^{2}}\right)=\arg (1+z^2) - \arg (1 + \bar z^{2})$$
$$=\arg (1+x^2+i2xy-y^2)-\arg(1+x^2-i2xy+y^2)$$

Then I stuck.

I also tried:
$$\frac{1+z^2}{1 + \bar z^{2}}=\frac{1+x^2+i2xy-y^2}{1+x^2-i2xy+y^2}$$

But also stuck

How to do this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first identity needs to adjust if the sum of arguments is larger than $$2\pi$$.

Likes songoku
I think one helpful identity would be that $$\arg \bar z+\arg z=\arg(z\bar z)=\arg(|z|^2)=0 \pmod {2\pi}\Rightarrow \arg \bar z=2\pi-\arg z$$ and also $$\arg (z^n)=n\arg z \pmod {2\pi}$$.

But I can't figure out how we going to relate ##\arg (1+z^2)## to ##\arg(z^2)## I think here we must use the given fact that ##|z|=1## somehow...

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
I think one helpful identity would be that $$\arg \bar z+\arg z=\arg(z\bar z)=\arg(|z|^2)=0\Rightarrow \arg \bar z=-\arg z$$ and also $$\arg (z^n)=n\arg z$$.

But I can't figure out how we going to relate ##\arg (1+z^2)## to ##\arg(z^2)## I think here we must use the given fact that ##|z|=1## somehow...
Remember that standard arguments, at least in my experience, have a " scope" of $$2\pi$$, so that, if, e.g., arg(z)=$$\pi$$, then arg##z^4 \neq 4\pi##

Likes songoku and Delta2
yes right I think the arithmetic with arguments is modulo ##2\pi## right?

Likes songoku
Another idea since ##|z|=1## to set ##z=e^{i\phi}##, ##\bar z=e^{-i\phi}## ##\frac{\pi}{6}\leq\phi\leq\frac{\pi}{3}## and see how far you can get with that fraction...

Likes songoku
Makes me think about the double angle formulae.

Likes songoku
I solved this by setting ##z=e^{i\phi}=\cos\phi+i\sin\phi## and working through complex algebra and trigonometry, but the possible answers match more than one. Does the question allows for this?

Likes songoku
If the argument is between 30 and 60 degrees, and the length is one, can we assume the given complex number is oriented at 45 degress and real and complex coefficients are same? (What’s their length?)

Once you get z in explicit form by the above method you will have the answer, and then you can manipulate your algebra to get that correct answer.

Likes songoku
Delta2 said:
the possible answers match more than one. Does the question allows for this?
It looks like this is the case, yes.

Likes songoku
Arguments are defined in $$[a, a+2\pi)$$ in order to be continuous, or even well-defined, as $$ e^{\theta}=e^{\theta + 2\pi} $$ for any Real a. It took me a while to understand that's what was meant by a 'Branch" : a local inverse of the Exponential $exp z$. Wish I had known it earlier, it would have saved me a lot of time!

Likes songoku
From Post #1:
songoku said:
Let z = x + iy

$$\arg \left(\frac{1+z^2}{1 + \bar z^{2}}\right)=\arg (1+z^2) - \arg (1 + \bar z^{2})$$
$$=\arg (1+x^2+i2xy-y^2)-\arg(1+x^2-i2xy+y^2)$$

Then I stuck.

I also tried:
$$\frac{1+z^2}{1 + \bar z^{2}}=\frac{1+x^2+i2xy-y^2}{1+x^2-i2xy+y^2}$$

But also stuck

How to do this question? Thanks
You have some errors here.
If ##z=x+iy##, then ##\bar z=x-iy##, but ##(x-iy)^2=x^2 -2ixy-y^2##.

Also, ##|z|=1 \text{, so } x^2+y^2=1\text{, i.e. } 1-y^2 =x^2## .

Using this in ##1+z^2## gives ##2x^2+i2xy##, right?

Factor out ##2x##.

Similarly for the denominator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes songoku
WWGD said:
Remember that standard arguments, at least in my experience, have a " scope" of $$2\pi$$, so that, if, e.g., arg(z)=$$\pi$$, then arg##z^4 \neq 4\pi##
I learn that the principle value of argument for complex number is ##-\pi < \theta \leq \pi##

Hall said:
If the argument is between 30 and 60 degrees, and the length is one, can we assume the given complex number is oriented at 45 degress and real and complex coefficients are same? (What’s their length?)
I don't think we can assume that

Delta2 said:
I solved this by setting ##z=e^{i\phi}=\cos\phi+i\sin\phi## and working through complex algebra and trigonometry, but the possible answers match more than one. Does the question allows for this?
SammyS said:
From Post #1:

You have some errors here.
If ##z=x+iy##, then ##\bar z=x-iy##, but ##(x-iy)^2=x^2 -2ixy-y^2##.

Also, ##|z|=1 \text{, so } x^2+y^2=1\text{, i.e. } 1-y^2 =x^2## .

Using this in ##1+z^2## gives ##2x^2+i2xy##, right?

Factor out ##2x##.

Similarly for the denominator.
I understand. I don't know whether the question allows more than one answer but I got that option (a), (b) and (c) can be the possible arguments.

Thanks you very much for the help and explanation WWGD, Delta2, pbuk, Hall, SammyS

Likes Delta2, WWGD and SammyS
I would let t=arg(z) then z=|z|exp(i t)=exp(i t)
$$\mathrm{arg}\left( \frac{1+z^2}{1+\bar{z}^2 }\right)=\mathrm{arg}\left( \frac{1+\exp(2i t)}{1+\exp(-2i t) }\right)$$
$$\mathrm{arg}\left( \frac{1+z^2}{1+\bar{z}^2 }\right)=\mathrm{arg}\left(\exp(2i t)\right)$$

Since this is already solved …

We have ##\bar z (1+z^2) = z + \bar z## and therefore ##1+z^2 = (z + \bar z)/\bar z## (and similarly for ##1+\bar z^2 = (z+\bar z)/z##. It immediately follows that
$$
\frac{1+z^2}{1+\bar z^2} = \frac {z}{\bar z} = z^2,
$$
since ##z \bar z=1##. Consequently, we have
$$
\arg\left(\frac{1+z^2}{1+\bar z^2}\right) = 2\arg z.
$$
No parametrizations necessary.

Likes Delta2, lurflurf and FactChecker
There is also a quite intuitive geometrical interpretation here based on the inscribed angle theorem.

Consider the circle of radius one in the complex plane centered at 1. Clearly, ##1+z^2## lies on this circle as |z|=1. The central angle between ##z^2## and the real line is 2 arg(z) and, since the origin is also on the circle, the inscribed angle between the real line and ##1+z^2## is half of this, ie, arg(z).

Since the denominator is the complex conjugate of the numerator, it directly follows that the argument of the ratio is 2 arg(z).

Likes SammyS
Orodruin said:
Since this is already solved …

We have ##\bar z (1+z^2) = z + \bar z## and therefore ##1+z^2 = (z + \bar z)/\bar z## (and similarly for ##1+\bar z^2 = (z+\bar z)/z##. It immediately follows that
$$
\frac{1+z^2}{1+\bar z^2} = \frac {z}{\bar z} = z^2,
$$
since ##z \bar z=1##. Consequently, we have
$$
\arg\left(\frac{1+z^2}{1+\bar z^2}\right) = 2\arg z.
$$
No parametrizations necessary.
Aha! Very good!
Another way to see that, EDIT It may be a little easier to see in the exponential form since |z|=1:
##(1+e^{i2\theta})/(1+e^{-i2\theta}) = (e^{i\theta}(e^{-i\theta}+e^{i\theta}))/(e^{-i\theta}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})) = e^{i\theta}/e^{-i\theta} = e^{i2\theta}##

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
FactChecker said:
Aha! Very good!
Another way to see that, since |z|=1, is:
##(1+e^{i2\theta})/(1+e^{-i2\theta}) = (e^{i\theta}(e^{-i\theta}+e^{i\theta}))/(e^{-i\theta}(e^{i\theta}+e^{-i\theta})) = e^{i\theta}/e^{-i\theta} = e^{2i\theta}##
I believe this is what #14 did, just not writing out the intermediate steps.

Likes FactChecker
Oh, same idea, just somewhat simpler, using ##z\bar z = 1##:
$$
1+z^2 = z\bar z(1+z^2) = z(\bar z + z^2 \bar z) = z(z+\bar z).
$$
Now, ##z + \bar z## is real so ##\arg(1+z^2) = \arg(z)## (as long as ##z+\bar z \neq 0##).

Orodruin said:
I believe this is what #14 did, just not writing out the intermediate steps.
Yes, I just realized that fact. I think it is a little easier to see in the exponential form and will edit it to make it clear that it is just a restatement.

1. What is an argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin and the complex number on the complex plane. It is typically denoted by the symbol θ (theta) and is measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is the argument of a complex number calculated?

The argument of a complex number can be calculated using the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the imaginary part divided by the real part. In other words, arg(z) = arctan(Im(z)/Re(z)). Another way to calculate it is by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

3. What is the range of the argument of a complex number?

The range of the argument of a complex number is from -π to π radians or from -180° to 180°. This is because the argument is a measure of the angle formed between the complex number and the positive real axis, which can range from a negative angle to a positive angle.

4. How does the argument of a complex number relate to its magnitude?

The argument and magnitude of a complex number are related through the polar form of a complex number, which states that z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the argument. In other words, the argument and magnitude together determine the position of a complex number on the complex plane.

5. What is the significance of the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is significant because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of complex numbers. It can also be used to perform operations on complex numbers, such as multiplication and division, and to convert between different forms of complex numbers, such as rectangular and polar forms.