As Simple Hoist System Problem - Given Answer Wrong?

In summary, the investigation found that when the cage is raised from the mineshaft, it accelerates uniformly for 10 seconds, travels for 70 seconds at a constant speed of 3 m/s, and just before it reaches the pit head, decelerates uniformly in 4 seconds. The tension in the cable is determined to be 5055N, and the torque required at the drum shaft is 9671Nm.
MechEngJordan

Homework Statement

A colliery lift cage can be considered as a simple hoist system. An investigation found that when raised from the bottom of the mineshaft, the cage accelerates uniformly for 10 seconds, travels for 70 seconds at constant speed of 3 m/s and just before reaching the pit head, decelerates uniformly in 4 seconds.

Frictional torque at the drum shaft is constant at 1500 Nm.

Mass of drum = 1.5 Tonne
Dia. = 3m
k = 1.4m
Mass of Cage = 0.5 TonneFor the period during which the cage accelerates, determine:

(i) The tension in the cable with a labelled free body diagram (assume
that the mass of the cable is negligible.)

(ii) The torque required at the drum shaft.

Homework Equations

a = Δv/t
∑F = ma
∑τ = Iα
I = mk^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration calculated to be 0.3m/s^2.

Tension in cable:

∑F = ma

∴ T = m(a + g)

= 5055N (correct according to answer sheet)

∑τ = Iα

I = mk^2 = 2940kgm^2
α = a/r = 0.2m/s^2

∴τ = Iα + τƒ + Tr, where τƒ = frictional torque of 1500Nm and Tr = 7582.5Nm

= 9671Nm

The answer given is 8171Nm -- which is simply the above calculation without consideration to the constant frictional torque of 1500Nm.

Am I missing something or is the answer given simply incorrect?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MechEngJordan said:

Homework Statement

A colliery lift cage can be considered as a simple hoist system. An investigation found that when raised from the bottom of the mineshaft, the cage accelerates uniformly for 10 seconds, travels for 70 seconds at constant speed of 3 m/s and just before reaching the pit head, decelerates uniformly in 4 seconds.

Frictional torque at the drum shaft is constant at 1500 Nm.

Mass of drum = 1.5 Tonne
Dia. = 3m
k = 1.4m
Mass of Cage = 0.5 Tonne

For the period during which the cage accelerates, determine:

(i) The tension in the cable with a labelled free body diagram (assume
that the mass of the cable is negligible.)

(ii) The torque required at the drum shaft.

Homework Equations

a = Δv/t
∑F = ma
∑τ = Iα
I = mk^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration calculated to be 0.3m/s^2.

Tension in cable:

∑F = ma

∴ T = m(a + g)

= 5055N (correct according to answer sheet)

∑τ = Iα

I = mk^2 = 2940kgm^2
α = a/r = 0.2m/s^2

∴τ = Iα + τƒ + Tr, where τƒ = frictional torque of 1500Nm and Tr = 7582.5Nm

= 9671Nm

The answer given is 8171Nm -- which is simply the above calculation without consideration to the constant frictional torque of 1500Nm.

Am I missing something or is the answer given simply incorrect?
The sources of torque on the drum are the shaft (positive) and cable tension (negative). It is a poorly worded question, but you are asked to find the torque applied by the shaft to the drum. You have found the torque of the motor that is turning the shaft (τmotor - τf = τshaft).

Other than that, your approach is perfectly correct.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
The sources of torque on the drum are the shaft (positive) and cable tension (negative). It is a poorly worded question, but you are asked to find the torque applied by the shaft to the drum. You have found the torque of the motor that is turning the shaft (τmotor - τf = τshaft).

Other than that, your approach is perfectly correct.

AM

Ah! I see that now. I need to be a bit more careful when reading the question!

Thanks a lot.

Related to As Simple Hoist System Problem - Given Answer Wrong?

1. What is a simple hoist system?

A simple hoist system is a mechanical device that is used to lift and lower objects using a pulley and rope or chain. It is commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries to move heavy objects.

2. How does a simple hoist system work?

A simple hoist system works by using a pulley to change the direction of the force needed to lift an object. The rope or chain is threaded through the pulley and attached to the object. As the rope is pulled, the object is lifted off the ground.

3. What are the components of a simple hoist system?

The main components of a simple hoist system are a pulley, rope or chain, and an object to be lifted. Some systems may also include a motor or other power source to assist with lifting.

4. What are the common problems with a simple hoist system?

Common problems with a simple hoist system include overloading, improper installation, and wear and tear on the components. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the system to prevent these issues.

5. How do I troubleshoot an issue with a simple hoist system?

If you are experiencing problems with a simple hoist system, it is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek the help of a professional. Troubleshooting steps may include checking for proper installation, inspecting the components for wear and tear, and ensuring that the system is not overloaded.