Associates in ME to bachelors in CS

In summary, the individual has been studying for an associates in ME for a year, with one year left until completion. They are considering continuing their education in ME at a university, but have recently become interested in computer science. They are concerned about switching majors and not having enough experience in computer science, as well as the potential lack of physics in the field. The individual also asks whether engineers do problem solving and if they apply physics during problem solving. It is noted that problem solving is a key aspect of engineering, but cutting edge physics may not be a focus. The individual is also advised to consider the prerequisites and potential additional year of study if switching to computer science."
zachdr1
So I've been perusing this associates in ME for the past year and I have one year left until I'm finished. I was thinking about continuing my education in ME at a university but I just recently found an interest in computer science. I've always liked computers, I even programmed a little when I was 10, and I thought about majoring in it when I started college 2 years ago but I changed my mind. I'm now reconsidering it.

Does anyone thing this would be a stupid decision? I love physics and math and the only thing I'm worried about with CS is that I won't do any physics. I hear that you barely do any physics/problem solving as an engineer but this is from people with entry level positions so they could just not have enough experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
zachdr1 said:
So I've been perusing this associates in ME for the past year and I have one year left until I'm finished. I was thinking about continuing my education in ME at a university but I just recently found an interest in computer science. I've always liked computers, I even programmed a little when I was 10, and I thought about majoring in it when I started college 2 years ago but I changed my mind. I'm now reconsidering it.

Does anyone thing this would be a stupid decision? I love physics and math and the only thing I'm worried about with CS is that I won't do any physics. I hear that you barely do any physics/problem solving as an engineer but this is from people with entry level positions so they could just not have enough experience.

Do engineers do problem solving? That's basically the job description. Do you generally deal with cutting edge physics? No. Do you apply physics during problem solving? That again is the job description.

As far as switching to computer science, do you have the undergrad prerequisites done for transfer? If you do switching is no big deal, unless you've already applied and choosen a major during the application process. If not, you may not get accepted, and if you do you get accepted, you may be adding another year of study at University.

What is the difference between an Associates in ME and a Bachelors in CS?

An Associates in ME (Mechanical Engineering) typically focuses on the principles and application of mechanical systems, while a Bachelors in CS (Computer Science) focuses on computer programming, software design, and computer systems.

Can I transfer my credits from an Associates in ME to a Bachelors in CS program?

It depends on the specific courses you have taken and the policies of the school you are transferring to. Some credits may transfer, but others may not be applicable to the CS program.

How long does it typically take to complete a Bachelors in CS after earning an Associates in ME?

This also depends on the specific program and courses you have taken. However, on average it may take an additional 2-3 years to complete a Bachelors in CS after earning an Associates in ME.

What career opportunities are available with a Bachelors in CS?

A Bachelors in CS can prepare you for a variety of careers in the technology industry, including software developer, database administrator, computer systems analyst, and web developer.

Do I need to have a strong background in computer science to pursue a Bachelors in CS after earning an Associates in ME?

While having a background in computer science may be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many Bachelors in CS programs offer introductory courses for students with limited experience in the field.