At most explicit time-dependent operator

In summary, the German student is having difficulty understanding an exercise involving finding the time-dependence of an operator in a Schrödinger picture. He is given the Hamiltonian for an harmonic oscillator, and is asked to find the time-dependence of the ##O_H= U^{\dagger}(t, t_0)O_SU(t, t_0)## operator. Heisenberg's equation of motion is mentioned, and it is explained that the operator could have intrinsic time-dependence if it represented the potential of a variable external field, or if it were the component of a tensor defined with respect to a rotating coordinate system.
carllacan
Hi.

I have a little language problem. I'm studying in Germany, and my German is... nicht sehr gut, so I sometimes have problems understanding the exercises. The one I'm having issues right now has a part which says einen höchstens explizit zeitabhängigen Ope-rator I am Schrödingerbild.

My translation for this is "An at most explicitly time-dependent operator in Schrödinger picture." This doesn't make any sense: how can a Schrödinger-picture operator be time dependent? And what does it mean by "at most explicitly"

Thank you for your time.

PD: if you happen to speak German I'd would appreciate if you checked my translation.

PPD: I know I could simply ask the teacher, but... I should have made this exercise way earlier, and I'm kind of ashamed to openly tell him that I am doing it now, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is not much. I am given the Hamiltonian for an Harmonic oscillator and I am told to find the time-dependence of ##O_H= U^{\dagger}(t, t_0)O_SU(t, t_0)##, where ##O_S## is the mentioned "at most explicitly time-dependent operator in Schrödinger picture.", and U is the time-development operator.

Maybe I am to just state the Heisenberg equation of motion for O?

The Heisenberg equation of motion is ##\frac{dO_H}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}[H_H, O_H] + \frac{\partial O_S}{\partial t}##. I think he's saying, keep the ##\frac{\partial O_S}{\partial t}## term.

Bill_K said:
The Heisenberg equation of motion is ##\frac{dO_H}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}[H_H, O_H] + \frac{\partial O_S}{\partial t}##. I think he's saying, keep the ##\frac{\partial O_S}{\partial t}## term.

I've never seen it in that form. I don't understand it, isn't the point of the Schrödinger picture that operators are time-independent?

carllacan said:
I've never seen it in that form. I don't understand it, isn't the point of the Schrödinger picture that operators are time-independent?
Usually, but not always.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg_picture#Mathematical_details

Ballentine p 91 said:
"The operator could have intrinsic time dependence if it represented the potential of a variable external field, or if it were the component of a tensor defined with respect to a rotating coordinate system."

Likes 1 person

Related to At most explicit time-dependent operator

1. What is an explicit time-dependent operator?

An explicit time-dependent operator is a mathematical function that represents the change of a system over time. It explicitly depends on time, meaning that the operator changes with respect to time and is not constant.

2. How is an explicit time-dependent operator different from an implicit time-dependent operator?

An explicit time-dependent operator explicitly depends on time, while an implicit time-dependent operator does not. In other words, the operator explicitly contains the variable for time in its equation, while the implicit operator does not.

3. How is the explicit time-dependent operator used in scientific research?

The explicit time-dependent operator is commonly used in mathematical models to describe the behavior of a system over time. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can the explicit time-dependent operator be applied to non-linear systems?

Yes, the explicit time-dependent operator can be applied to both linear and non-linear systems. It is a versatile tool that can handle complex systems and provide valuable insights into their behavior over time.

5. What are some examples of explicit time-dependent operators?

Examples of explicit time-dependent operators include the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics, the Navier-Stokes equation in fluid dynamics, and the Lotka-Volterra equations in population dynamics. These operators are used to describe the behavior of particles, fluids, and populations over time.