Atomic clock: energy between two levels

In summary: So, in summary, the atomic clock defines a second as the time it takes for EM radiation to oscillate 9192631770 times, which is equivalent to the energy gap between two energy levels of a caesium-133 atom. Using the equation E=hf, we can calculate the energy difference in eV by plugging in the frequency of 9192631770. The resulting energy difference is 3.8 * 10^(-5) eV.
Jillds

Homework Statement

With the atomic clock a second is defined as the time it takes for EM radiation to oscillate 9192631770 times, which equals the energy gap between two energy levels of a caesium-133 atom. Note: it's a translation and the term used with the oscillation is "oscillation periods"

Homework Equations

Calculate the energy difference (in eV)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At first I took the expression "oscillation periods" to mean that I had to use the T=1/f relation and insert it in the E=hf equation. However since T is in seconds and f means turns or oscillations, I went with f=9192631770.

So, I have:
E = hf
= 6.626*10^(-34) Js * 9192631770 /s
= 6.091*10^(-24) J
= 3.8 * 10^(-5) eV

I just hope to check whether I made the right assumptions and conversions, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jillds said:

Homework Statement

With the atomic clock a second is defined as the time it takes for EM radiation to oscillate 9192631770 times, which equals the energy gap between two energy levels of a caesium-133 atom. Note: it's a translation and the term used with the oscillation is "oscillation periods"

Homework Equations

Calculate the energy difference (in eV)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At first I took the expression "oscillation periods" to mean that I had to use the T=1/f relation and insert it in the E=hf equation. However since T is in seconds and f means turns or oscillations, I went with f=9192631770.

So, I have:
E = hf
= 6.626*10^(-34) Js * 9192631770 /s
= 6.091*10^(-24) J
= 3.8 * 10^(-5) eV

I just hope to check whether I made the right assumptions and conversions, thank you.
Your answer matches the one here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acloc.html

Likes Jillds

1. What is an atomic clock?

An atomic clock is a highly accurate timekeeping device that uses the energy difference between two energy levels in atoms to measure time. It is considered the most accurate type of clock in existence.

2. How does an atomic clock work?

An atomic clock uses a process called atomic resonance, where the electrons in atoms absorb and emit energy at specific frequencies. By measuring these frequencies, the clock can accurately determine the time.

3. Why is an atomic clock considered more accurate than other clocks?

An atomic clock is considered more accurate because it uses the natural oscillation of atoms, which are incredibly stable and consistent. This allows for a more precise measurement of time compared to other types of clocks.

4. Can atomic clocks be affected by external factors?

Yes, atomic clocks can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and electromagnetic fields. To maintain accuracy, atomic clocks are often placed in controlled environments to minimize these external influences.

5. What are the practical applications of atomic clocks?

Atomic clocks are used in various fields, including telecommunications, satellite navigation, and scientific research. They are also used to calibrate other clocks and timekeeping devices, ensuring accurate timekeeping globally.