Automorphism group of Klein four is S3.

In summary, the conversation revolves around showing that the automorphism group of the Klein four group is isomorphic to the symmetric group on 3-letters. One approach is to use linear algebra and view the group as a vector space over the field \mathbb{Z}_2. Another approach involves representing the group as permutation matrices and finding a connection between the two representations. However, this may not be possible due to the different dimensions of the matrices used. Ultimately, it is suggested to simply solve the problem by hand without trying to find a more elegant solution.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Show that [itex] \text{Aut}_{\text{Grp}}(\mathbb Z /2 \mathbb Z \times \mathbb Z /2 \mathbb Z) \cong S_3 [/itex]. That is, show that the automorphism group of the Klein four group is the symmetric group on 3-letters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the argument here is pretty simple. First we need to analyze the automorphism group. Since automorphisms preserve the identity, there are only 27 possible set mappings. Since automorphisms preserve order and are bijective, there are only 6 possible mappings which correspond to permutations of the 3 non-identity elements, since they all have order 2.

Now one can show by hand that these permutations are all automorphisms. What I am hoping for is a more elegant way of showing this other than doing it by hand. The only thing I can possibly think of is that any two non-identity elements generate the group. Hence so long as we map two distinct elements to any other two distinct elements, we get the entire group. Is this correct? Is there another way of claiming this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

The trick is to use linear algebra here. Indeed, [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex] can be seen as a vector space over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]. Furthermore, every group homomorphism is actually a [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]-linear map. Thus all the automorphisms can be described by invertible matrices. For example:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & b\\ c & d\\ \end{array}\right)[/tex]

where (1,0) is being sent to (a,c) and (0,1) is being sent to (b,d). So the only thing you need to do is figure out how many matrices are invertible (i.e. have nonzero determinant).

Very analogously, one can show that the automorphism group of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p^n[/itex] is in fact [itex]GL_n(\mathbb{Z}_p)[/itex], and now you know where it comes from!

Thanks!

There seems to be some representation theory in here, though I'm not sufficiently familiar with it to comment on it further. It seems to me that the automorphism group will (almost by definition) be given by the representation [itex] G \to GL(G) [/itex]. Can we do better than that? Namely, when can we explicitly say that [itex] \text{Aut}(G) = GL_n(G) [/itex] for some finite n?

Oh! Also, if we're giving the automorphism group in terms of [itex] GL_2(\mathbb Z_2 ) [/itex], and we give S_3 as 3x3 permutation matrices, is there an obvious way of jumping from one to the other?

Kreizhn said:
Thanks!

There seems to be some representation theory in here, though I'm not sufficiently familiar with it to comment on it further. It seems to me that the automorphism group will (almost by definition) be given by the representation [itex] G \to GL(G) [/itex].
Can we do better than that? Namely, when can we explicitly say that [itex] \text{Aut}(G) = GL_n(G) [/itex] for some finite n?

Do you mean for every group G here? It's not clear to me how you would see any group G as a vector space (and thus how you would define GL(G)). In particular, if G is nonabelian, then I don't see what GL(G) means. The only way I really see it work is for [itex]\mathbb{Z}_n^p[/itex], but I might be missing something/

Kreizhn said:
Oh! Also, if we're giving the automorphism group in terms of [itex] GL_2(\mathbb Z_2 ) [/itex], and we give S_3 as 3x3 permutation matrices, is there an obvious way of jumping from one to the other?

Uh, depend how you would see S_3 as permutation matrices. What you ask is if we represent S_3 as representation matrices over the field [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex] and if you represent S_3 as matrices over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], does there exist a connection?
Well, I don't know, but I'll look into it.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant any particular G. In such an instance, I believe that [itex] GL(G) [/itex] is actually defined as the automorphism group of G. Maybe just weird notation? I think I have seen that used in a representation theory book, just because it works out well for finite dimensional representations.

If memory serves, we can view any permutation group Sn as a set of nxn permutation matrices (with precisely one 1 in every row and column). I believe this is a representation of Sn over [itex] \mathbb Z_2 [/itex]. Like I said though, my memory and experience with rep.theory is shaky.

Edit: Nevermind, looked it up. The notation GL(V) is still specific to vector space automorphisms.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There probably is an answer but I wouldn't know enough rep.theory to understand it well. Thanks.

Kreizhn said:
If memory serves, we can view any permutation group Sn as a set of nxn permutation matrices (with precisely one 1 in every row and column). I believe this is a representation of Sn over [itex] \mathbb Z_2 [/itex]. Like I said though, my memory and experience with rep.theory is shaky.

Yes, this representation is also a representation over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]. But note that we do not have this representation here. The representation you describe is one of 3x3-matrices. While the representation in this problem is one of 2x2-matrices!

micromass said:
Yes, this representation is also a representation over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]. But note that we do not have this representation here. The representation you describe is one of 3x3-matrices. While the representation in this problem is one of 2x2-matrices!

Yes, but ultimately we say that [itex] \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_2 \times \mathbb Z_2 ) \cong GL_2(\mathbb Z_2) [/itex] and that [itex] \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_2 \times \mathbb Z_2 ) \cong S_3 [/itex]. So if that permutation matrix representation [itex] S_3 \to GL_3(\mathbb Z_2) [/itex] is in fact an isomorphism onto some subset [itex] \hat S_3 \subseteq GL_3(\mathbb Z_2 ) [/itex] then shouldn't we be able to map [itex] GL_2(\mathbb Z_2) \cong \hat S_3 [/itex]?

I can probably pump it out by hand, so if there isn't an elegant answer then don't worry about it. I was just curious if there is indeed an elegant answer. Or maybe I've just confused myself :confused:

Kreizhn said:
Yes, but ultimately we say that [itex] \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_2 \times \mathbb Z_2 ) \cong GL_2(\mathbb Z_2) [/itex] and that [itex] \text{Aut}(\mathbb Z_2 \times \mathbb Z_2 ) \cong S_3 [/itex]. So if that permutation matrix representation [itex] S_3 \to GL_3(\mathbb Z_2) [/itex] is in fact an isomorphism onto some subset [itex] \hat S_3 \subseteq GL_3(\mathbb Z_2 ) [/itex] then shouldn't we be able to map [itex] GL_2(\mathbb Z_2) \cong \hat S_3 [/itex]?

I can probably pump it out by hand, so if there isn't an elegant answer then don't worry about it. I was just curious if there is indeed an elegant answer. Or maybe I've just confused myself :confused:

Yes, you are correct, of course. There will be a bijection between those two representations. But I don't know if this bijection has an interesting form or is canonical in some way. It is a nice question, though...

I will think about it more. Thank you for your help.

Related to Automorphism group of Klein four is S3.

1. What is the Automorphism group of Klein four?

The Automorphism group of Klein four is the group of all possible isomorphisms from the group to itself. In other words, it is the set of all ways in which the elements of the group can be mapped to themselves while preserving the group's structure and operations.

2. Why is the Automorphism group of Klein four isomorphic to S3?

This is because the Klein four group is isomorphic to the symmetric group S3. This means that the two groups have the same group structure and operations, despite having different elements. Therefore, the Automorphism group of Klein four, which preserves this structure, must also be isomorphic to S3.

3. How many elements are in the Automorphism group of Klein four?

There are six elements in the Automorphism group of Klein four, as it is isomorphic to S3, which has six elements.

4. What is the significance of the Automorphism group of Klein four in mathematics?

The Automorphism group of Klein four is significant in mathematics because it is the smallest non-cyclic group that is isomorphic to the symmetric group S3. It also has important applications in group theory and abstract algebra.

5. Can the Automorphism group of Klein four be extended to larger groups?

Yes, the Automorphism group of Klein four can be extended to larger groups, such as the dihedral group D4. This is because both groups have the same group structure and operations, and the Automorphism group preserves this structure.