Average velocity of a falling object problem

In summary, the conversation involves finding the average velocity of a falling object at a specific time interval by using the equation x = 100 m - (4.9 s-2)t2. The individual initially has trouble with the problem but eventually realizes that they just need to find the time interval from t = 0 to t = 2 and plug it into the average velocity equation.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A falling object moves so that its height x above the ground at time t is given by the following equation: x = 100 m - (4.9 s-2)t2. Find its average velocity from t = 0 t t = 2 s.

Homework Equations

Average velocity = Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to work it out to the point where I solved for x by plugging in the times given for 0 secs and 2 secs.

For t = 0:

x = 100 m - (4.9 s -2 * (0 s)2

= 100 m

For t = 2:

x = 100 m - (4.9 s -2 * (2 s)2

= 19.6 m

Solving for t2 in the equation, I get:

100 m/4.9 s-2 = t2

Final answer of 4.52 m s -2

For the average velocity equation (and t), I realize this does not work all that great as m will be canceled in setting up the average velocity equation and am only left with seconds for time. I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing wrong in this problem. Thank you everyone for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Violagirl said:

Homework Statement

A falling object moves so that its height x above the ground at time t is given by the following equation: x = 100 m - (4.9 s-2)t2. Find its average velocity from t = 0 t t = 2 s.

Homework Equations

Average velocity = Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to work it out to the point where I solved for x by plugging in the times given for 0 secs and 2 secs.

For t = 0:

x = 100 m - (4.9 s -2 * (0 s)2

= 100 m

For t = 2:

x = 100 m - (4.9 s -2 * (2 s)2

= 19.6 m

Solving for t2 in the equation, I get:

100 m/4.9 s-2 = t2

Final answer of 4.52 m s -2

For the average velocity equation (and t), I realize this does not work all that great as m will be canceled in setting up the average velocity equation and am only left with seconds for time. I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing wrong in this problem. Thank you everyone for your help.

Average velocity is just (final position - initial position) divided by time interval.
You have successfully found the initial and final positions.
You just need the time interval.

How long was it from t = 0 to t = 2 ?

PeterO said:
Average velocity is just (final position - initial position) divided by time interval.
You have successfully found the initial and final positions.
You just need the time interval.

How long was it from t = 0 to t = 2 ?

Oh ok, got it! I guess I was just overthinking it, oops :redface:...Thanks a lot! :biggrin:

Related to Average velocity of a falling object problem

What is the formula for calculating average velocity of a falling object?

The formula for calculating average velocity of a falling object is:
Vavg = (Vf - Vi) / t
where Vavg is the average velocity, Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

How do you determine the initial and final velocities of a falling object?

The initial velocity of a falling object is typically 0 m/s as it starts from rest. The final velocity can be calculated using the equation:
Vf = Vi + at
where a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and t is the time taken.

What is the unit of measurement for average velocity of a falling object?

The unit of measurement for average velocity of a falling object is meters per second (m/s).

What factors can affect the average velocity of a falling object?

The average velocity of a falling object can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the mass and shape of the object, and the height from which it is falling.

Can the average velocity of a falling object be negative?

Yes, the average velocity of a falling object can be negative if it is falling in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is upwards and the object is falling downwards, the average velocity will be negative.