Does Every Set in the Axiom of Choice Include an Empty Set?

In summary, the Axiom of Choice states that given a collection of non-empty sets, there exists a function that can choose one element from each set in the collection. The statement in theorem (c) is saying that even if the collection S does not include the empty set as an element, the Axiom of Choice still holds true and there exists a choice function for S.
kidsasd987
Following theorems are congruent(a) Axiom of Choice

(b) if ∀i:i∈I: <Yi | i∈I > → Yi≠Ø

(c) Ø∉S → ∃f: f is on a set S
s.t. f(X)∈X for all X∈S. where f is choice function of S.
I am confused with the theorem (c), as how the Collection S does not include empty set.
I believe every set needs to include an empty set as its element?

Can anyone please help me figure out this?

Physics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
I believe every set needs to include an empty set as its element?
The empty set is a subset of every set, but not necessarily an element.

Hi there,

The theorem (c) is referring to the Axiom of Choice, which states that given a collection of non-empty sets, there exists a function that can choose one element from each set in the collection. This function is called a "choice function."

In this context, the statement is saying that if the collection S does not include the empty set, then there exists a choice function that can choose one element from each set in S. This means that even if S does not include the empty set as an element, the Axiom of Choice still holds true.

To understand why this is the case, it's important to remember that the Axiom of Choice is a fundamental principle in set theory, and it allows us to make certain assumptions and conclusions about collections of sets. It does not necessarily mean that every set must include the empty set as an element.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental principle in set theory, which states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set in the collection.

2. Why is the Axiom of Choice important?

The Axiom of Choice is important because it allows us to make infinitely many choices at once, which is necessary for many important mathematical proofs and constructions. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, including topology, measure theory, and functional analysis.

3. What are some consequences of the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice has several notable consequences, such as the Banach-Tarski paradox, which states that a solid ball can be divided into a finite number of pieces and then reassembled to form two identical copies of the original ball. It also has implications for the existence of certain infinite sets and the structure of the real numbers.

4. Is the Axiom of Choice universally accepted by mathematicians?

No, the Axiom of Choice is a controversial topic among mathematicians. Some mathematicians accept it as a necessary and useful tool, while others reject it due to its counterintuitive consequences and potential conflicts with other mathematical principles.

5. Can the Axiom of Choice be proven?

No, the Axiom of Choice cannot be proven or disproven within the standard axioms of set theory. It is an independent statement, meaning that it is neither provable nor disprovable from the other axioms. However, it is generally accepted as an axiom by mathematicians.